R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apparently lost the battle between pothole and rim in Nashville. Going to try to file a claim. Does anyone have any experience going up this road? I've been looking for a used replacement. I've got a 2014 R1200GS. I expect you all know the cost of a new rim. $1200.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pound it out. Piece of wood and a hammer. You'll be fine. :grin2:

If you have BMWMOA Tire insurance it might cover it. (Not the hammer and wood)

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Pound it out. Piece of wood and a hammer. You'll be fine. :grin2:

If you have BMWMOA Tire insurance it might cover it. (Not the hammer and wood)
Even though I think it was intended as tongue in cheek, this is very bad advice in my opinion. I believe that your wheel is fixable and in the hands of a professional shop, and for far less than a new wheel. A ham handed amateur attempt to fix it could make it unfixable by even a pro.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Even though I think it was intended as tongue in cheek, this is very bad advice in my opinion. I believe that your wheel is fixable and in the hands of a professional shop, and for far less than a new wheel. A ham handed amateur attempt to fix it could make it unfixable by even a pro.
It was, but if the bead was broke, it was losing air and I was on the road I'd do it. I would take it to a shop.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but I'm sure all of the shops that sell "gangster wheels" (rims) do repairs since some of those tires have about an inch of sidewall. There are probably a half dozen in Nashville.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you do find a local shop that says they 'can' fix it, be sure to ask them how they'll do it. Many shops can only get a wheel close to straight and then they use a lathe to mill the bead well true. Find a business that specializes in repairing aluminum rims like the one referenced earlier (woody's). I had great luck with this shop in AZ:

mcwheel main page

I like their technique the best because they don't mill the rim to repair it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
File a claim with the city/ township/district whomever is the governing body. Hit a pothole in San Diego that knocked off one of my panniers. Went to the city clerks office and picked up and filed the claim paperwork. They paid for a replacemt. Make sure you include pictures of the pothole and the damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pothole damage

Thanks to all for the info on rim straightening. I'm going to contact Woodys.

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
This happened to me near Johnson City in Tennessee a few years ago:

I had the road hazard warranty so I got a new wheel and tire for no cost but I did have an expensive tow. The tow story is another long one but I'll pass along that I got the State of Tennessee to pay me for my uncovered expenses. I filed a FOIA request with the Tenn. DOT for road maintenance where it happened. Once I had that in hand that showed that they had just been out in the last month repairing that road (but obviously missed some really big problems) I filed a claim which they paid.

For things like this, it cost me nothing to ask. The answer is no if you don't ask.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts