R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to power a Zumo GPS and Valentine1 Radar Detector on my 2012 1200GS. Is there a built-in power socket like a Powerlet on thi s bike or do I need to add a fuse block? I don't have plans to add lighting or heated clothing. I've read a lot about the canbus and don't quite understand what impact that has on adding small accessories.

Thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
agree with MikeC above. I did exactly the mod you mention. I put my zumo 665 and a V1 on the bike. I used the PDM60, and it has been 100% trouble free x 3+ years. The Eastern Beaver unit is good, used it on my 2004 and 2009 roadsters. There's also the hexcan unit.
I have accessory lighting (motolights), the zumo, the V1, a gerbing's thermostat for my heated liner, and a USB port wired to the PDM60, all steup to stay on for different customized delays. It just works

My advice is don't go looking for the gps plug, just put on a fuse/breaker block. There are people who'll swear by that, the white gps plug, approach, and it may work fine for them. I thought the delay terrible, just long enough to make it a hassle at a gas stop for your garmin. IOW you have to watch it to switch to battery power...and I always missed it, so the garmin would shut down and I'd have to go through the stupid reboot sequence of the garmin and BT connections with phone and Sena. With the PDM60 I can set the delayed off to up to 7 minutes, long enough to refuel without losing power.
BTW when you do this you will NOT have functionality of the wonderwheel at all.

I do not use my V1 on the bike anymore as I just don't speed like I used to, so why have the clutter---obviously ymmv as well as your speedo.

The next question you'll ask is what wire to use for the trigger wire for switched power. I use the taillight, and have the pdm60 mounted under the rear seat---had to move stuff to make room; others mount elsewhere.

Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
GPS and Valentine 1

Or go even less expensive. Use a $4 relay, connect the "switch" wire to something like the parking light (the running light in the headlight), then wire up your two accessories directly to the battery. If these are the only items you are wanting to add, then why spend so much money on fancy stuff?

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the PDM60, it works well and it is water proof. the only draw back is that you can not have a Continuous 12v without a power draw. I use it for my Heated seats and gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Looking hard at the Amplink by Rowe. It seems to be the next generation of the PDM60. Anyone have experience with this?

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I'm a PDM-60 user and their new Amplink looks very nice. I recently installed a Neutrino fuse block and it also uses a smartphone for set up. It was a bit fiddly to get the circuits working properly but no big deal. With both of my PDM-60 installs on a '14 & '18 GSAs, I have just set it and forgot about it. They've been flawless. I imagine the Amplink is the same. If cost was a factor, I'd stay with the PDM-60.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts