R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Navigator V I hoped that I would be able to plan routes using my PC. I thought it would easy to plot a route on a map and then download it onto my Navigator. I downloaded Garmin's Basecamp but found it complicated and the maps disappointing.

Advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Harley Davidson ride planner. You will have to save your route as a GPX file and import to your GPS. Its simple but works.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
When I bought my Navigator V I hoped that I would be able to plan routes using my PC. I thought it would easy to plot a route on a map and then download it onto my Navigator. I downloaded Garmin's Basecamp but found it complicated and the maps disappointing.

Advice would be much appreciated.
Stick with Base Camp and learn it. I do realize the learning curve, at first, is quite daunting but you will figure it out. The like Switchglide sent is very good and will help you. If you're working with a PC, use this: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

Here's another link that's very helpful learning your new Navigator V: BMW Navigator V Review

I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link to newenglanriders. Very useful but it is all beyond my computer abilities. Decided to give up before my PC and Navigator V are thrown through the window and into my garden. Why is the latest software so bloody complicated? Every possible permutation seems to be allowed for! Have computer software programmers not heard the expression 'keep it simple, stupid'.

I think I will continue to write the route on a piece of paper and put it in the clear window of my tank bag.

Happy days.

·
-Kevin
7 Posts
I purchased a new 2015 R1200GSW and it came fully loaded with all the electrical goodies including the Nav. V. For me, the nav unit was a huge waste of money. Despite being reasonably computer literate, that unit has provided me with little to no useful information other than my speed, directional heading and performance history. I've had extreme frustration when trying to use it as a navigation aid or routing tool. Frankly, I've found that nothing beats the standard "map" function on my iphone 6. Simply plug in your destination, engage bluetooth and hear the directions in the helmet. I know that others seem to really enjoy the Nav.V functions and for them I'm happy. For me however, I've got better things to do than to deal with a clumsy, unintuitive, slow responding GPS unit. I'll stick with my iphone. Good luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I purchased a new 2015 R1200GSW and it came fully loaded with all the electrical goodies including the Nav. V. For me, the nav unit was a huge waste of money. Despite being reasonably computer literate, that unit has provided me with little to no useful information other than my speed, directional heading and performance history. I've had extreme frustration when trying to use it as a navigation aid or routing tool. Frankly, I've found that nothing beats the standard "map" function on my iphone 6. Simply plug in your destination, engage bluetooth and hear the directions in the helmet. I know that others seem to really enjoy the Nav.V functions and for them I'm happy. For me however, I've got better things to do than to deal with a clumsy, unintuitive, slow responding GPS unit. I'll stick with my iphone. Good luck!
I have to say the Nav V is a pretty powerful tool but it does take a while to learn the way it works. I found the Tomtom Rider 400 much easier to use.

I have it worked out quite well if you guys need help

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for the link to newenglanriders. Very useful but it is all beyond my computer abilities. Decided to give up before my PC and Navigator V are thrown through the window and into my garden. Why is the latest software so bloody complicated? Every possible permutation seems to be allowed for! Have computer software programmers not heard the expression 'keep it simple, stupid'.

I think I will continue to write the route on a piece of paper and put it in the clear window of my tank bag.

Happy days.
Try using the link I provided earlier, it's MUCH easier to use than Basecamp. You just have to manually add the GPX file to the Nav V if you use the free version

1 - 20 of 61 Posts