R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dear fredaroony,

Thanks for your recommendation in using 'myroute'. It works a treat. So easy to put way markers on a route just clicking with the mouse.

Problem! How on earth do I download it onto my Navigator V? You mentioned 'GPX'. What's that? (I had a Kawasaki GPX750 once, but I guess that is something else).

Regards

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dear fredaroony,

Thanks for your recommendation in using 'myroute'. It works a treat. So easy to put way markers on a route just clicking with the mouse.

Problem! How on earth do I download it onto my Navigator V? You mentioned 'GPX'. What's that? (I had a Kawasaki GPX750 once, but I guess that is something else).

Regards
GPX is the file format for the route that GPS uses. When you in route on myroute click on the "save as" button at the top and choose GPX.

This will download the route as a GPX file. When you connect you Nav V to your computer you should see it as a drive called Garmin and inside that drive you see a folder called GPX and all you do is put the route GPX inside that folder.

When you disconnect the Nav V from your computer and turn it on it should pop up and say it found a new track and do you want to import it. Just say yes and it will import it into your trip planner as a new route.

The paid version has a connector you install that does the whole thing for you but it's very easy to do manually

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh dear me. Thought I used to be good with computers. No longer. I am now a complete numpty when it comes to the bloody things. Can I get the route from my PC to my Navigator V. No way.

Many thanks for your your help.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh dear me. Thought I used to be good with computers. No longer. I am now a complete numpty when it comes to the bloody things. Can I get the route from my PC to my Navigator V. No way.

Many thanks for your your help.
You can do this! With Base Camp, and I know the learning curve is a little steep, the transfer from that program to your Nav V is seamless.

Frankly, I hated Base Camp, at first, as Mapsource had worked so well for me. Base Camp has many features, some I don't use but, with diligence, you can get it to do what you wish. There is nothing to purchase . . . it's free. You may wish to purchase the weather and traffic apps later on.

I did a little .PDF file for another rider about how I plan a route in Base Camp. If you wish, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the file. It may be of some use to you.

Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think I am a lost cause. Like to send you a personal message with my email address but don't know how to do it!

Regards

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
In this, is it true that the Nav V will only read mp3 files and not other audio formats, like mp4, acc, etc?
Yeah, I'm afraid that's true. I was going to convert my mp4 stuff and transfer it but Bluetooth made doing that just too involved. I sync my iPhone, Nav V and Schuberth SRC and turn up the music. Easy.

Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am in awe at your clear understanding and knowledge of modern computery things. I am seriously jealous since I feel I will be left behind, but probably not on the road, since my motorcycling ability is not helped by computers ........ OK, perhaps the Dynamic suspension, the ABS, the ..................

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I'm afraid that's true. I was going to convert my mp4 stuff and transfer it but Bluetooth made doing that just too involved. I sync my iPhone, Nav V and Schuberth SRC and turn up the music. Easy.

Mike
Thanks. That's what I'm currently doing, but having trouble with my new Sena 20S. It works great until I synq up my Nav V. Once that device is in the mix, it gets weird and doesn't work very well. The fault is either within the Sena or the Nav V. I'm still trying to figure all that out.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks. That's what I'm currently doing, but having trouble with my new Sena 20S. It works great until I synq up my Nav V. Once that device is in the mix, it gets weird and doesn't work very well. The fault is either within the Sena or the Nav V. I'm still trying to figure all that out.
I know what you mean about syncing all the "stuff." The sequence of the sync matters and here's what I do:

1. Pair the Nav V with the iPhone.
2. Turn on your headset and pair it with your Nav V.
3. Pair your iPhone with the headset.

I hope this works for you.

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know what you mean about syncing all the "stuff." The sequence of the sync matters and here's what I do:

1. Pair the Nav V with the iPhone.
2. Turn on your headset and pair it with your Nav V.
3. Pair your iPhone with the headset.

I hope this works for you.

Mike
Thanks. I've tried various ways of doing it. I believe the problem is within the Sena unit and not with the Nav V.

I put a call into the Sena help line and the tech was little to no help at all. Poking around the internet leads one to believe that the 20S is overrated in it's promised capabilities. I guess I will have to slog my way through it with the Sena people. :(

·
Registered
749 Posts
Multi point Pairing

Thanks. I've tried various ways of doing it. I believe the problem is within the Sena unit and not with the Nav V.

I put a call into the Sena help line and the tech was little to no help at all. Poking around the internet leads one to believe that the 20S is overrated in it's promised capabilities. I guess I will have to slog my way through it with the Sena people. :(
The only way it will work! Direction from NAV V and receive phone calls along with music on phone!

multipoint pairing.
1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the
red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns
to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You
will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on the GPS navigation screen. Select
the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the GPS.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Transfer GPX file with smart phone or tab

I'm new to the Navigator V and Basecamp an read all the previous posts.
I didn't see any comments about transferring a gpx file to the Nav V while on the road and no computer to use.
On the TomTom Rider 400, it is pretty easy to do, but how would you do that on the Nav V?
I also use myrouteapp to create my tracks and export to gpx format, but once I have the file and without Basecamp, what are the options?
One might be to get the file onto a SD card and insert that into the Nav V.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I bought my Navigator V I hoped that I would be able to plan routes using my PC. I thought it would easy to plot a route on a map and then download it onto my Navigator. I downloaded Garmin's Basecamp but found it complicated and the maps disappointing.

Advice would be much appreciated.
I totally agree with you in both aspects of this program. Like you I had hoped for something easy to use like Google maps not a program where I needed to enlist the help of a four year old nephew/niece. While persevere I will, I still think the program is archaic.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Basecamp and garmin in general makes, in my opinion, the most user hostile software implementations out there.

I really wish someone like apple or google or motorola or someone would try to compete with them. I've been using garmin products since 2007, I think. The hardware is obsolete at release compared to what's out there, but it does work fairly well. It's almost as advanced as a Palm Pilot.
The implementation of hardware and software is structured as if there is no other access to computer products on the planet. What ever you learn elsewhere in your computer life, forget it, throw it out for now you are on Planet Garmin. That said, and perhaps you disagree, and perhaps you're a member of the Illuminatti, a detente can be achieved. You can make it work for you...with time...and patience...and lots of frustrations. My problem, and with advancing age I know it will not get better, is that I blunder through the learning process, the Moki Dugway of learning curves, and I know it for about 18 hours, then something intervenes, like a doorbell, or getting thirsty, or, OMG, an email arrives. I get distracted just for that moment and it's as if the New Horizons spacecraft shoulda made that left turn at Alburquerque, IOW I am lost in space anew.
I think it's horrible. It is NOT YOU. IT IS GARMIN and their so-called engineers. A simple thing like rearranging the menu or rearranging the screen is completely off limits. Try to find a hack for the garmin...you can't. Maybe Mr Robot can?

Enough preamble. Just as Fredaroony suggested the software workaround, I found another and wanted to mention it.

Rever.co (not com). with premium membership, which goes for $5.99 a month, cancellable, you can download maps you've SO EASILY created as a gpx.
You also have complete access to Butler Maps, and, they have a smartphone app.

Word of warning. When they are imported into my garmin they show up with the prefix "SD"
I am not sure what that means, maybe secure data? The GPX file on my mac does not have that prefix. To make it even murkier, when the imported gpx shows up under My Collection, it is as you've named it, ie without the SD. And it, the route, visualized just fine on the computer's map.
However, when you Send To Device, Garmin magic happens and it sends a file over that is
1) a roundtrip
2) not your designed route, but the route your grandpa and grandma would prefer, ie big highways to the interstate
3) and it shows up on the "device" the way you named it when you exported it
4) WTF
5) oh, what's this SD file? that's it; the garmin must have thought I made a mistake and fixed it for me. It knew I really didn't want to go over Union Pass, but wanted I 90 via I 25 out of Casper instead.
6) WTF

And the really disturbing thing is, this is my own personal Garmin hell. I would in no way expect for it to be reproducable on any other system, and if you got confused along the way? Welcome to the club!

This is a company that did not see it as an advantage, or even worse, CHOSE not to have a QWERTY keyboard available for a LONG time.
Built for bikers by antagonistic morons.

Not my first and sadly not my last rant on the Garmin culture, but in one similar a while back I was going off on that it took umpteen clicks to get to "motel" and "Fuel" and I was told by some fanboy that I was being unsafe and I should stop to work the unit. He was probably right, but really? Built for bikers? Built for bikers with the patience of Job and who are motionless.

It's not you. It's Garmin. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dr. Strangelove, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with BaseCamp. I do recall when my Window 7 machine "rejected" Mapsource and started crashing during each route planning session. I went kicking and screaming to BaseCamp and absolutely hated that friggin' program for quite a while. Finally, I had the ah-ha moment.

Some time ago, a friend was having issues learning BaseCamp routing process and I did a little .pdf for him about how I do it. I found it on an external drive and will send it to you, if you wish. PM me if you're interested.

Mike

·
Registered
765 Posts
sure, Mike, I'd appreciate that. I have the one from New England Riders though.

Thing is it's not just basecamp, it's garmin in general, but they are the only game in town. It's frustrating because it could be so much better.

Basecamp though is a microcosm for it though. It has its unique modus operandus, just like the devices, and unlike anything on your smartphone or computer. Nothing transfers over. It is FAR easier to migrate from Windows to MAC, or iPhone to Android than deal with garmin language and thinking.

Thanks for the sympathy...:laugh2: appreciate it. What I'd really like is to be able to configure my 665 so that I can one click find gas or motel or rest area or whatever from their menu I'd choose. All that's in there, but to get to it is too difficult. I know how to get to it for sure, but far too many clicks at interstate speed or curvy road negoiations. It's NOT friendly and because it can distract, it can be dangerous.
Voice recognition would be great, but it will be the next century before that happens. For the $$$$ these things cost I just expect more

I'm trying to put maps together for a big Montana ride in a couple weeks. It's easier and more satisfying to do the 12k service than to deal with basecamp.
But thanks appreciate the support, man!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Pre plan routes on Navigator V? Reply to Thread

Doc, you can create your own POI files and save them that way via POI Loader. Rest areas, hotels, BMW dealers, etc., are available via POI Factory's site. When I plan a trip, I insert my specific points within the daily routes and that makes things pretty simple. I don't like hunting and pecking while under way and, this way, there right on your screen. I just got back from a 52 day ride to Alaska and loaded everything onto the SD card . . . so convenient.

Montana is one of my favorite states. Where you goin' up there? If I can assist with any routes, please let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi, Mike,
This is the madness I am talking about. I have been trying to sort this out now for a few hours. Nothing works fast in the Garmin world.

I can make the maps on the desktop fine, with all the twists and turns I want.
I have each segment labeled under My Collection. They display fine on the desktop.

I have tried to send them as a group to the device, but that is not possible, unless they're under a parent folder under My Collection. IOW, for garmin, <cmd-A> is an unknown command, ok, so I have to load them individually, or under the parent folder. I get the same results doing it either way, I think.

When I choose send To Device, I can send it to either the unit itself or the SD card I have in it. I've tried it to both recipients with similar results. I have checked "routes" and "tracks."

Few are loaded properly, many wind up as straight lines, like an airplane or a crow, even though they display perfectly on the desktop. Along the way I am asked/told that the maps the routes were "calculated" on are different than the maps on the device, Recalculate? yes? No? Is the word 'calculate" really appropriate? And recalculate sound like they are going to change the route? I've tried yes and no with similar results.
Again, all this takes time with the slow processors they use.
I should point out that both the device and the computer have north america 2017.2, sounds like the same maps to me, nevertheless, somewhere in graminland a difference is noted.
It would seem that a "transfer" would be a simple process.
Maybe I have a setting wrong? Maybe there's a problem with the software or my 665? Maybe I am pressing the trackpad too hard, or I'm trying during daylight savings time, but this kind of functionality is crap, and any computer maker producing this wouldn't last in business too long.
Back to it...trying some other permutation of the process. Ugh

21 - 40 of 61 Posts