R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.
My new GS still hasn't arrived (it'll be one more month, I guess).
As I've never owned a bike with Quickshift I have one little doubt. In 30 years of riding I would always preload gearshift pedal so when I squeeze the clutch and reduce the throttle the bike would shift smoothly and without any clunk.
Now, my new GS will come with quick shift. May I keep preloading the pedal before shifting or that habit would shift the gear before I want it to. If I have to "un-learn" the preload, it won't be easy after 30 years of same muscle memory.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Bosnjo, once you meet the required pressure the gear change will happen so you might have to re-learn. It will only change up on an open throttle and down on a closed throttle though.
I’ve found that the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd aren’t the smoothest using the quick shifter and can be done better myself, certainly my K1600GT was smoother. Shifting down is great though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to all.
My new GS still hasn't arrived (it'll be one more month, I guess).
As I've never owned a bike with Quickshift I have one little doubt. In 30 years of riding I would always preload gearshift pedal so when I squeeze the clutch and reduce the throttle the bike would shift smoothly and without any clunk.
Now, my new GS will come with quick shift. May I keep preloading the pedal before shifting or that habit would shift the gear before I want it to. If I have to "un-learn" the preload, it won't be easy after 30 years of same muscle memory.
Thanks
Hi Bosnjo
It takes a bit of getting used to, but you will love the quick shifter in tight mountain roads. I ride a 2019 GS 1250r Exclusive it is the 1st bike with a quick shifter I had ridden. Took a couple a hard riding days to know the bike and the quick shifter.
Watch out early when your learning to use , if used wrong going down gears ( if you don’t fully engage the gear down, it can throw your fwd like you hit neutral ) it just takes a bit of getting used too.
I love it now,
  • in the mountain tight roads I use it mainly in the low gears up and down
  • higher gears generally use clutch as normal ( unless I’m having a race with mates ) going up. Rarely use clutch going down gears.

Your question about preload. No you don’t do it.
You will see how smooth it is once you get used to it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. You're of great help. Will keep in mind your words on the first ride.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Exciting waiting for your new bike?! I've been using the quick shifter for 6 years now. Most of my observations are shared with the above posts.

I frequently alter between manual and quick shifting. I rarely use which shifting from 1st to 2nd, it's not smooth at those speeds unless you're going to wind 1st gear out.

I've noted if you have the slightest pressure on the clutch lever, the quick shifter is disabled. So if your wondering why it won't quick shifter up or down be sure there is no pressure on the clutch lever.

I've really enjoyed the feature when doing a lot of back to back changing elevation and speed corners.

It's all a bit nuanced but you'll quickly gain an understanding of it all and love it. I'll admit there are still times I have a notchy or abrupt shift with it, but that's mostly operator error.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess first step would be to gain habit not to preload the pedal and shift it normaly with the clutch and then after few days start using quickshift.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, and yes, waiting for new bike is rather annoying as I sold my Vstrom 1000 two months ago and for the first time in my life I'm not riding for two months already.
And the corner of my living room is full of accessories waiting to be mounted on new bike.

·
Super Moderator
823 Posts
For you guys waiting on new bikes to be delivered - has there been any effect from the stop sale order and have you been told that it's been resolved?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I always forget I have quick shift and rarely use it. I remember it worked best at the higher rpm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Asked the salesman at the dealer and he said he's never heard about the front calipers leaking or stop sales and that everything is on schedule as it's supposed to be. He's either stupid and badly informed or he's "playing the ball" as he's ordered to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It works well on my 2018, more revs make upshifting easier, especially in low gears. Which is great when going from zero to fast. Wind it up and click, click, click.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2018 the quickshifter works OK matching engine revs, but I am uncomfortable with how much force (too much) I have to put on the lever. Is this adjustable? It's almost like there is no quickshifter, except for the matching revs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my 2018 the quickshifter works OK matching engine revs, but I am uncomfortable with how much force (too much) I have to put on the lever. Is this adjustable? It's almost like there is no quickshifter, except for the matching revs.
I was mashing the quick shifter when I first got it and then I figured out that I didn't need all that force. I Never need it downshifting as long as the throttle is off. With upshifting, as long as the revs are say 3k, all is well, very little force is needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts