R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All
I don't know if I'm coming to the party late on this issue, but I just had to replace the in-tank sensor on my "new" 2009 R1200GS (2000 miles) when the computer fuel guage, milage indicator and "range" all went out. All this was due to the in-tank fuel sensor going on the fritz. It apparently gets fried using American gas, even premium grade gas, without using a fuel additive to boost octane rating. I was told by a guy at the dealership that even new bikes are experiencing this problem and the dealership has had to replace the sensor in one guy's bike "7" times.

All my repairs were made under warranty, of course, and the dealership got the work done in good, timely order. The problem is that they replace the in-tank sensor with exactly the same ($200+) part, plus labor, and seem to just hope that the new part doesn't burn out too..........(see above note about a guy having pretty bad luck.)

I'd be interested in learning if any of you other folks are experiencing this issue. Scuttlebutt has it that it is particularly bad in New Mexico and Colorado. I don't want to have to pay for this apparent manufacturing defect in the post warrently life of the bike.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
It apparently gets fried using American gas, even premium grade gas, without using a fuel additive to boost octane rating.
Bull pucky. Whomever told you that it is due to American gas doesn't know what they are talking about. I don't know what the sensor issue is, but I do know that they fail on bikes ALL OVER THE WORLD, not just in the US.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with Mark...I doubt if it is gas related. As far as I know
2009's have not had any issues on the fuel system. Some
previous year models had some problems necessitating a
recall and fix by BMW. It appears that the fuel pump"system"
is one of the few "sensors" that has an integral computer
chip. The only thing us mushrooms in the dark get is a
cryptic "chip" indication in the electric schematics. This chip
I assume talks to the instrument cluster to give fuel tank
status. This is where I would start trouble shooting.
The chip should be a easy R and R and worth about
8 USD. It appears that the fuel float feeds its
wiper type analog signal to this chip.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts