R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I'm coming to this party late but I am in the process of having the in-tank fuel sensor on my new 2009 (2000 miles) bike replaced due to its failure.........the fuel guage doesn't work, the mpg doesn't work, and the fuel "range" doesn't work. Otherwise the bike runds fine.

This problem is apparently due to the in-tank fuel sensor failing. The work is being done under warrenty, of course, but apparently is a royal pain-in-the-butt to complete. The part itself is $200+ and the tank has to be drained, removed, refilled, tested, etc., 4-5 hours of work.

Now I'm being told that this is a "very common" problem with the R1200GS bikes and is caused by using "USA gasoline" .......ie., anything except tectron gas. I was told that one bike has gone through 7 of these sensors.

I'm a bit flabergasted by all this and nothing was mentioned about this when I was buying the bike. I definitely don't expect to pay for this problem myself after the warrently period. Am I the last one to hear about the tank sensor problem? Are any of you folks having to deal with this problem??

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the fuel sensor strip found on bikes with the on board computer and I think all bikes after '07 are known to break. Don't know why. Don't know how common. Every third person suggests it's because of US gas. Unlikely. The sensor breaks in other countries, too. I wonder if the Ausies think it's because of the quality of gas down under. ;)

If it breaks get it replaced. The replacement carries a 2 year warranty in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jim
Funny you should mention this, I have my 2008 1200GSA currently at BMW in Melbourne for exactly the same thing, I was riding through New South Wales the other week with 3/4 tank of fuel, next minute had none according to the gauge, I searched frantically for a large hole in my tank!!!!!!!!!!!!
The BMW dealer didn't seem overly concerned when I dropped off the bike, I have heard of other bikes in AUS with the same problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
My first time posting to the forum. I picked up an 05GS about 3months ago and every question I've had, I've been able to figure out from reading from everyone elses experience. Thank you all!
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the sensor showing you need gas when your not that low yet? I've ridin about 3000 miles and with all those fill ups, I never seem to need more then 3 1/2 gals. Even when I've ridin 20 miles on reserve? :confused:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
How many miles between fill ups?

Are you calling it full when the pump clicks off? If so you are leaving almost 3/4 of a gal of empty space. When the pump clicks off I can add 1/2 gal just to bring the gas up to the bottom of the filler neck. With some topping off care I can add almost another quart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I'm not sure this last time, I was to busy watching the miles remaining tick down. About 2 weeks ago looking thru little manual I saw that i could add more after the pump clicked off. I've been able to add just short of 3/4 of a gallon.
I just got back and rode until it said I had 3 mls left. Did my best and could only get 4.893 gals in? I reset my trip meter, so I'll try to take it until the end again. I'm not sure but at first I think I was averaging about 190 miles between fill ups.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
4.8 means you had less than 1/2 gallon left. That's what I'd typically put in my bike with the countdown at 20-25 miles to zero. The '05 bikes uses a float. It is quite possible that your float arm is adjusted a bit differently than mine. It's close enough that I'd ignore it and ride the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there

I had the same problem with my 2008 GSA (Canada) in May of this year. Dealer replaced fuel gauge under warranty. Will it happen again? I hope not :mad:

·
21 Posts
2008 r 1200 r

We have a 08 GS and a 08 R1200R, I have had the fuel strip replaced 3 times int the R1200R with only 11,000 miles on it.
It went out again last week this time showing half full when it ran out of fuel. The dealer says they can only replace it again with the same crappy strip and hope for the best.
When is bmw going to make a strip that works ??
The GS has not had any problems,knock on wood.
Good luck with yours

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jim
Funny you should mention this, I have my 2008 1200GSA currently at BMW in Melbourne for exactly the same thing, I was riding through New South Wales the other week with 3/4 tank of fuel, next minute had none according to the gauge, I searched frantically for a large hole in my tank!!!!!!!!!!!!
The BMW dealer didn't seem overly concerned when I dropped off the bike, I have heard of other bikes in AUS with the same problem
Madmouse,

Hope you got home ok and you're not still in the shop! My 2009 bike seems to be running great with the new sensor strip.....but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Although, it pisses me off that I have to worry about this sort of stuff with a new BMW bike.......oh, well.

In 2008 I rented a 1200GS in Perth for a ride around Western Australia. I thought I was renting a new bike, but they (BikeRound Oz) rolled out a bike that had 68,000KM on it and had obvously been dumped more than once. I was really nervous about taking this bike out on a trip that I anticipated was going to be between 8,000 to 10,000 miles. But, they gave me a "No Worries" and a spare rear tire and off I went. My girlfriend (in a rented camper van) and I headed down the coast, around the corner along the Southern Sea, across the Nullabor, into Port Arther, up to Alice Springs and Cooberpeddy, up into Kakadu, into Darwan (Christ, was that place HOT) and back down the western coast to Perth..........just about 10,000 miles over eight weeks. That ol GS ran great and never gave me a bit of trouble (except once when I put too much oil in it.....(they didn't include an owners manual to help me understand how the oil guage works) But it ran fine once I drained a little oil out.

I do have to say that, in spite of the BikeRound Oz folks advice that "just stop anywhere and the boys will be glad to help you out" I could never find anyone that wanted to fool with this bike to change the tire. So I rode all the way around on a single set of tires. The front tire looked ok, but I've never seen a rear tire that worn smooth......ha ha! Boy, I was riding on wires when I got back to Perth. We LOVE Australia! (Just returned from camping up in the Cape York Pinnensula for three weeks. Don't think I'd care to take a motorcycle up THAT road.......but did pass some guys who were doing exactly that.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
09 R1200GS fuel gauge malfunctioning

Like others on here, I experienced problems with the fuel strip/indicator after running the tank to near empty. I think this triggered the problem, not sure. bike has 9000 miles on it and the failure mode is fuel indicator showing empty with flashing yellow warning light, no matter what the level is, I've been managing by resetting the trip counter and just ensure I refuel before I get to 180 miles or so.

My question is: Is BMW fixing this? this seems to be a pretty big field issue that they should be concerned about, this is a major headache for riders that is very annoying on a bike that costs $20K+.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Fixing it? Depends upon your definition of fixing....

If under warranty they will replace the sensor. See, they fixed it. The replacement even comes with a 2 year warranty of parts and labor. So when it fails again withing that two years they will fix it again. And again.

The current bikes are using a float. That may be the permanent fix. It doesn't help those that have a fuel strip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts