R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I searched and think this is moderately new - seen a few posts about replacing the battery or how to start the bike (Keyless Ride) with the emergency/wallet key, but I lost my original and only fob on the road while riding.
Here's how I programmed my replacement fob (from BMW) after I spent $160 for the new fob at the dealer.
1) Place emergency key at the antenna ring under the rear fender, and
2) Turn on the bike ignition at the push button - simultaneously.
3) Place emergency key outside of 2m from the bike (or farther).
4) While bike is on (doesn't need the engine actually running) - hold the new/replacement fob at the ring antenna and push the BMW logo button on the fob. Hold that button down until the lost key signal on the dash turns off. You are now good to go!

I have seen other stories (from RT folks) and was told by my own dealer, that the service charge for this would have been $50 at least.

·
Survivor
710 Posts
The instructions came with the FOB for my 2017. They vary somewhat from what is described above, if I remeber correctly. I'm not near the instructions at the moment, but I seem to recall that you are told specifically not to hold the new FOB by the ring antenna near the ignition button, but rather at the rear fender. In any case, read and follow the instructions that come with the FOB..... as painful as that may be. My dealer offered to do it for me for free while I waited; took a few minutes at most.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin,
I got instructions with my new fob, too, and they didn't work after following them to the letter. Got it that on the GSA, the antenna ring is under the rear fender and not by the dash (where it is on the RT). Posted said instructions below. The difference from the instructions may be that there was the original key that was paired to the bike and this was a replacement since I lost the original. For me, I had to push the logo on the fob while the bike was on already (from the emergency key) to get anything to happen. Glad your dealer did it for free. Mine was going to charge me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
I searched and think this is moderately new - seen a few posts about replacing the battery or how to start the bike (Keyless Ride) with the emergency/wallet key, but I lost my original and only fob on the road while riding.
Here's how I programmed my replacement fob (from BMW) after I spent $160 for the new fob at the dealer.
4) While bike is on (doesn't need the engine actually running) - hold the new/replacement fob at the ring antenna and push the BMW logo button on the fob. Hold that button down until the lost key signal on the dash turns off. You are now good to go!

I have seen other stories (from RT folks) and was told by my own dealer, that the service charge for this would have been $50 at least.
Hello I tried twise to do this with my band new FOB key but O cant make it work. I placed my new fob on the magic spot pressed the bmw emblema more than 5 seconds and the bike does not recognize the new keyless, can you please help me or do you know the reason that this can be? I appreciate your advise, thank you so much from Spain .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello I tried twise to do this with my band new FOB key but O cant make it work. I placed my new fob on the magic spot pressed the bmw emblema more than 5 seconds and the bike does not recognize the new keyless, can you please help me or do you know the reason that this can be? I appreciate your advise, thank you so much from Spain .
Fructu - holding the new fob by the tail antenna will not do it. You need to do the steps I outline in my original post - using the emergency key first - turn on the bike...then put the emergency key well out of range and put your new fob to the antenna while the bike is still on. Then push the BMW logo button until the lost key light goes away and you should be good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello All,

Good to know this and thanks for posting. It will save me $$ if I loose my FOB.

·
Survivor
710 Posts
If a dealership charges for programming a fob, then find a better dealership. The instructions come with the fob; they are simple and work. I’ve purchased two spare fobs; one for my GSA and one for Spousal Unit’s GS. Both times the sales guy assisted with the programming since it is easier with a second person. No charge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know this is an older Post, but post #3 instructions work perfect on the new 2019 R1250GS as well. Just an FYI if anyone buys a spare key for their bike.

Reactions: Rick92040

·
2015 R1200GS
1 Posts
Ok here is what worked for my 2015 R1200GS, $283.05 Canadian for a new Fob. Lifted front seat up, placed emergency key just above the cpu box, ( too hard to get under the fender because of bags) turned the bike on, placed the emergency key at least 6 ft (social distance) away from bike, placed new fob at the same position as I placed the emergency key watched the screen where the ?missing key symbol is displayed and pressed the BMW button, 1 second later that symbol disappeared. It worked! Just my 2 cents...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts