R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
To redirect the thread only slightly, I had read on another forum that all gasoline is basically the same, except for the quantity of anti-knock compound ("octane") added to it. If anyone can knowledgeably verify or deny this, why couldn't you just carry a bottle of octane booster and treat your gasoline as you deem necessary?
This statement was somebodies attempt to oversimplify and is misinformation, in countries like the U.S, those in Europe and many others there are standards and the base stock is generally all pretty much the same with the exception being in the additive packages that include detergents and anti-knock enhancers, but in many third world countries this is not at all the case and the product is often times mishandled and contaminated.
And though adding octane boost may be a solution in some countries it is unavailable not to mention having to carry it around if you are touring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually what may be of concern is that in much of the US, about 10% of a gallon of gasoline is actually corn ethanol (alcohol)(E85 is even higher I think) added to aid smog control, and does boost the octane rating but yields fewer calories to the combustion equation than the petrol is replaces. I've heard that means it yields about a 10% power reduction, thank you very much.

Brazil uses a huge amount of alcohol in its fuel, and who knows about other countries.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts