R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought the Small Tank bag from BMW, and i have some questions for other owners out there.

There were several "features" which seem like they are there for a reason, but i can't figure what. They are :

1. Red elastic loops on the inside of bag (but on the 'outer layer' of the waterproof liner)
2. Non elastic red loops (with black plastic tabs) on the interior of the waterproof liner
3. "Male"/"Female" button 'parts' on the cover flap and on the inside of the waterproof liner.

I've included some photos for reference.

I hope someone can shed some light on what they are for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The loops in the corners so you can pull the inner cover out of the way.

I have this bag and live in CA so am not worried about waterproofing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Roll the top of the waterproof bag down and then put the plastic piece on the inner non-elastic red tabs through the outer red loop to keep the top of the bag out of the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for your replies. I 'stumbled' across the answer to red loops and tabs the day after posted this.

But the button snaps still confounded me. Evidently it's to keep the opening of the waterproof liner higher than the other parts of the liner - so water doesn't spill in.

Very thoughtfully designed, but it would have helped if there was instructions!

I love the integrated look of it - but yes getting zipped and unzipped is a royal pain.

However i haven't seen a 3rd party bag that like yet. So this will have to do for now.

Cheers guys!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
But the button snaps still confounded me. Evidently it's to keep the opening of the waterproof liner higher than the other parts of the liner - so water doesn't spill in.

I love the integrated look of it - but yes getting zipped and unzipped is a royal pain.

Cheers guys!
You're exactly right about the snap. On mine, it was a little difficult to snap the liner its mate. If you don't get it snapped and encounter heavy rain, the bag turns into a very nice bowl. My bag was electrified and that's where I kept my phone, iPod and radar detector so I really had to be careful with the snap.

I did get used to the refueling process with the bag and that was not an issue. The fit was spot on and it didn't move around. I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a request for photos on what the tankbag looked like with stuff in it.

So here it is. Hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts