R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 1800 miles from the last oil change. Right after the oil chance, the oil level was ~1/8'' below the top of the circle, now it's about 1/3 down from the top (see picture). Anyone notice the same with their 1250 GS. It's a 2020 model with 6300 miles.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yep. I had the dealer do my 12K service and they filled it mid window. After 3K miles it was at the low line. I took pictures and video and topped the oil back off and will see what the next 3K brings.

All that being said the oil was at the bottom of the sight glass when I did the 6K oil change. Bought the bike used with 1761 miles on it and didn't pay attention to oil level. I used liqui moly and filled it 2/3rds up the glass and it stayed there. So I guess I'll go back to that oil.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
If you're changing the oil and filter, are you guys putting all 4 quarts back in? That fills mine to the top of the sight glass and I went the longest I've ever gone on an oil change with this last one(about 6K miles) - level was about 3/4 on the sight glass.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're changing the oil and filter, are you guys putting all 4 quarts back in? That fills mine to the top of the sight glass and I went the longest I've ever gone on an oil change with this last one(about 6K miles) - level was about 3/4 on the sight glass.
It sound like there is some oil consumed on that bike as well. BMW boxers are known to consume some oil, so I am not sure it's necessarily a catastrophic failure, but was just curious to know if other experience this on their 1250 GS. I also read that in some cases, the oil consumption is reduced or disappears after 10K + miles. Time will tell....

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
If you let your boxer sit on the side stand for a long period of time, some oil will leak down and get burned off when you crank it. Nothing to worry about but seeing some blue smoke when you're not expecting it might surprise riders.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you let your boxer sit on the side stand for a long period of time, some oil will leak down and get burned off when you crank it. Nothing to worry about but seeing some blue smoke when you're not expecting it might surprise riders.
That's exactly what happens. Additionally if the piston rings happen to line up just right when on the side stand more oil than otherwise might sleep past them. A couple of years ago I was really concerned when my RS smoked REALLY badly on start up. Learned on the forum what I described above probably happened and it never did it again like that.

On my GS1250 I do occasionally have a wee bit of smoke on startup and I'm sure that's why. I have about 5700 miles on her, she's going in for scheduled service and my oil level has dropped to the bottom line on the sight glass. I'm thinking that's normal given the above along with normal use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time the bike is on the side stand is during gas station stops on day rides. Normally, it is on the center stand when stored in the garage. I did notice white smoke coming out of the exhaust during the first few minutes after starting her up in the morning.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It sound like there is some oil consumed on that bike as well. BMW boxers are known to consume some oil, so I am not sure it's necessarily a catastrophic failure, but was just curious to know if other experience this on their 1250 GS. I also read that in some cases, the oil consumption is reduced or disappears after 10K + miles. Time will tell....
I am on my second 1250 GS now, neither these bikes, nor my 1200 GS LC types consume(d) a drop of oil .
I almost always park them on their centerstand for longer periods, so they remain upright,though.
According to my dealer oil consumption between service intervals should be nil.
I am afraid something is wrong with your bike.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
If your bike does not require any oil to be added between oil changes then I wouldn't characterize that bike as "using/burning oil." All engines burn a tiny amount of oil. To the OP, did you crank the bike and let it circulate into the oil filter after the oil change before witnessing that it was only 1/8" down from the top of the sight glass?

I don't put any oil in my new filter before installing it so I add the full 4 quarts and after cranking it and letting it run for a bit, then checking it, it's no longer at the top of the glass.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your bike does not require any oil to be added between oil changes then I wouldn't characterize that bike as "using/burning oil." All engines burn a tiny amount of oil. To the OP, did you crank the bike and let it circulate into the oil filter after the oil change before witnessing that it was only 1/8" down from the top of the sight glass?

I don't put any oil in my new filter before installing it so I add the full 4 quarts and after cranking it and letting it run for a bit, then checking it, it's no longer at the top of the glass.
Yes, I did let the engine run after putting the new filter and than added some oil until it reached the top of the circle. Now, about 2K miles after the oil change, the oil level is down to about the middle of the circle.

Would riding style have an impact on how much oil is "burned up" ?

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
Yes, I did let the engine run after putting the new filter and than added some oil until it reached the top of the circle. Now, about 2K miles after the oil change, the oil level is down to about the middle of the circle.

Would riding style have an impact on how much oil is "burned up" ?
Maybe but I run the snot* out of mine and never felt like it used any.

*all day long over 90 mph on boring interstate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts