R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
Im pretty new with my bike so I have a lot of question that user manual wont cover.
So here I go,
Do you know how its possible to activate my OEM fog ligths without turn on the main headlight, just with the diurning lights?
Im attaching picture
I found its possible with denali smartcan or hexa but with aftermarket ligths
So I have seen some bikes with OEM fog ligths on without the main headlight on, but how?
Thank you

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
I don't know of anyway to turn off your main head light and just for perspective I don't think I've ever felt the need to even when skulking around looking for a stealthy camp site. I've never seen a 1200GS with its headlight off while on the go. Maybe someone else can chime in and educate us if this is possible? The OEM accessory lights are activated, as virkdoc mentioned, with a button on the left hand bar. Since these lights are canbus controlled/special wiring I think it would be difficult to control/configure them with an ezCAN or the like.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello
Yes i tried that button, it only works when the headligth are on ( like low beam on) , but if i want to turn the fog lights with the low beam of, it wont turn on the fog ligths :(
I though it was kind of a trick to make that work

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,364 Posts
I don't think the head light will turn off.
You should be able to turn off fog lights/driving lights with the switch @virkdoc mentions and that is the only switch that controls them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It depends on your country. In the USA and a number of other places, you can't turn off the main beam because it's considered a daytime running light. It'll be disabled in the software.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, quick update, I find the user manual in bmw website, it seems my bike its a Euro model and states the follow

Auxiliary headlights
with additional headlight OE
Requirement
The auxiliary headlights are act-
ive only when the low-beam
headlight is active

I think this is the cause I cant turn on the fog ligths without turn on low beam... bad luck :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on your country. In the USA and a number of other places, you can't turn off the main beam because it's considered a daytime running light. It'll be disabled in the software.
Im able to turn off the low beam and only have on like the side markers on and the X pattern in the headligth, but its a must in my bike that I need to turn on ligths in headlight in order to activate foglights

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
A European spec bike in USA? Thats a first.....because as discussed here before the Low Beam is mandatory on the USA bikes.

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
Im able to turn off the low beam and only have on like the side markers on and the X pattern in the headligth, but its a must in my bike that I need to turn on ligths in headlight in order to activate foglights
Can you describe how you turn your low beam on and off?

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
231 Posts
Here in Portugal, low beam is not mandatory as long as you have DRL LED stip turned on in the headlight. But, as I ordered my bike without expensive adaptive light, it came with low beam on all the time and DRL LED strip (X-strip) very dimmed for night riding.
I would love to have DRL strip on only, just like other GS owners have here. Before latest model (mine is 2021), LED strip (C-strip) was on and light sensor would turn on low beam when necessary. Now it's only with adaptive lights option. My bike has working light sensor. I know that because I use EzCan that reads light sensor and it dimms my AUX lights automatically at night.
I'm sure all can be enabled with dealer software but I'm sure they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd guess the two possible sequences are:

• Headlight + Fog Lights on or off

• No headlight + no fog lights

I had to think about it as I've always just done it on autopilot!

As you note if you add a Canbus mgr you can program whatever you want. There is a guy on YouTube who shows what can be done with Denali lights etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts