R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm a fairly new bike owner. I have a question regarding oil migration to the head. My bike was on it's side for about 2hrs, and I was told to not simply start it due to oil migrating to the head. What is the process I should follow before I start it to ensure I don't damage my motor?

I've heard someone mention removing the spark plug and cranking the engine to ensure the oil is out, I'm just not sure about what needs to be done.

Regards

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Remove the spark plug on the side that was on the ground (assuming that the bike has been upright for several hours). Push the starter button and hold for 5-6 seconds. Repeat this for 3-4 times and watch for oil exiting the cylinder (I would stand on the opposite side). Once there is no significant oil exiting the cylinder, clean the spark plug and hole well. Reinsert spark plug and start the bike, it may take multiple attempts. There will be LOTS of blue smoke, but the bike should start with blue smoke continuing to bellow. Let it run until smoke mostly clears. The smoke will probably continue for several miles when you ride it.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Good Advice!

To the OP... there may oil in your head. Sometimes there isn't. That said, due to the possibility of expensive damage if there is oil in your head doing what ExHarley Rider recommends is advised. If no oil comes out of the spark plug hole the worst you've done is waste 10 minutes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I may bounce on the subject, are any of r1200gs equipped as standard with the spark plug removal tool ?

What happens whilst offloading and the few possible drops? Do people rush to pick the bike and assume it's fine ? Or get into the hassle of the plug removal ?

Until recently I had never thought about the impact and possibility of oil seeping into the cylinder when dropped and potential breakage upon start...

Two hours does give it plenty of time to fill up, so indeed that does sound like a plan. But where to draw the line ?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
If I may bounce on the subject, are any of r1200gs equipped as standard with the spark plug removal tool ?

What happens whilst offloading and the few possible drops? Do people rush to pick the bike and assume it's fine ? Or get into the hassle of the plug removal ?

Until recently I had never thought about the impact and possibility of oil seeping into the cylinder when dropped and potential breakage upon start...

Two hours does give it plenty of time to fill up, so indeed that does sound like a plan. But where to draw the line ?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
If its down for a shorth amount time, no problem. I've had mine on it's side for a couple of minutes while I regain my composure, check myself for damage, etc. Just make sure you turn the engine off ASAP. The bike I used at the Performance Center for their off road course lay on both sides several times, and nobody seemed concerned about rushing to pick it up, just getting it turned off.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd draw the line right through my wallet. Having plug removal tool and using it on the low side isn't a big deal. I've gotten away with a half hour with no oil accumulation in the cylinder but YMMV.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Remove the spark plug on the side that was on the ground (assuming that the bike has been upright for several hours). Push the starter button and hold for 5-6 seconds. Repeat this for 3-4 times and watch for oil exiting the cylinder (I would stand on the opposite side). Once there is no significant oil exiting the cylinder, clean the spark plug and hole well. Reinsert spark plug and start the bike, it may take multiple attempts. There will be LOTS of blue smoke, but the bike should start with blue smoke continuing to bellow. Let it run until smoke mostly clears. The smoke will probably continue for several miles when you ride it.
Hi, a couple of questions on your initial response :
- "assuming that the bike has been upright for several hours" : what does that change? Can't you just lift the bike up, remove plug, and crank?
- Removing just the one plug, and firing up the starter button : won't that get the engine to run on just the one cylinder? Would it be better to kill the ignition on the other cylinder just in case?
And I therefore assume it's best to keep a plug removal tool on offroad trips? Any good, compact ones?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hi, a couple of questions on your initial response :
- "assuming that the bike has been upright for several hours" : what does that change? Can't you just lift the bike up, remove plug, and crank?
- Removing just the one plug, and firing up the starter button : won't that get the engine to run on just the one cylinder? Would it be better to kill the ignition on the other cylinder just in case?
And I therefore assume it's best to keep a plug removal tool on offroad trips? Any good, compact ones?
Hey,

1) Probably doesn't really matter.

2)Won't hurt it to run on one cylinder for a moment, but any oil that spurts out will come out much more forcibly. Don't see why you couldn't just remove the coil from the other side.

3) Several options:
https://www.advdesigns.com/ulcobmwr1gsg.html This is the one I keep on the bike all the time and use in the garage about 95% of the time. If your not familiar with it, it can be more challenging to learn on the road, in the dark, while raining.

this is the minimum I would carry and add a couple of items. https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Cruz-Tools-Roadtech-B1-On-Bike-Toolkit-for-BMW-RTB1http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8160237.html
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? Store_Code=WA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8160237

I, also, carry this at all times. Had to use it yesterday when my rear tire began losing pressure.
https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/tire-repair-accy/cyclepump-expedition-tire-inflator-combo-w-gauge/

Practice using any tools you are going to carry on the bike in the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts