R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm trying to retrofit my 2017 BMW R1200GS with a TFT instrument cluster. As of now, I have the TFT cluster, the left-hand commands and the navigation mount (the new mount connects to the TFT as well) the only big problem that I have is: the new TFT has a 12 pin socket and the old one has an 8 pin socket. Is there a cable that I need to order? Can someone help me with a part number? Thank you !

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was told by my dealer that there is no way to retrofit the TFT to a 2017 GS.I guess BMW is coming out with a gen 2 TFT that will be able to be retrofitted to 16-18 GS bikes. Still waiting for it to come out. My dealer will let me know the day its available

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can't imagine the cost doing something like this myself even if it were available. Think of it this way, more money for a trip or save it for a down payment for a new one a few years done the road. You'll never recover the cost of a used bike, let alone one with an upgrade to a TFT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't imagine the cost doing something like this myself even if it were available. Think of it this way, more money for a trip or save it for a down payment for a new one a few years done the road. You'll never recover the cost of a used bike, let alone one with an upgrade to a TFT.
I don’t think the OP was asking if it was worth the money or not. I think he was asking if it could be done or not. I don’t know maybe I read it wrong. But thanks for your insight

·
Registered
368 Posts
As of now, I have the TFT cluster, the left-hand commands and the navigation mount (the new mount connects to the TFT as well) the only big problem that I have is: the new TFT has a 12 pin socket and the old one has an 8 pin socket. Is there a cable that I need to order? Can someone help me with a part number? Thank you !
Did I miss something? The '17 GS didn't have TFT. What cable on the 2017 model are you referring to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did I miss something? The '17 GS didn't have TFT. What cable on the 2017 model are you referring to?
I'm missing X6ABA*Connectivity. So i think i need a new main wiring this is the part nr: 61118394905. My question is: do i also need a new ECU or i don't know, a new main computer or something?

As of now I have: TFT screen, GPS cradle(the one that connects with the TFT) and the right and left controls (the ones with black buttons). I've spent approx 1100 Euro but I'm 100% to go ahead and do it. I bought the bike last year summer and for now, I'm not going to change it.

Any info will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
You are likely the first test pilot in regards to attempting to retrofit the TFT to a bike that came without and therefor you already know more than probably anybody about it so far.
As far as the wire connector and the computer (ZFE or BMS-X) I think that you need to either change or add/adapt wiring to operate the extra functions of the TFT screen that are not found on the analog instrument GS's and also get the new computer that drives the TFT.
There is also the problem of enabling the TFT within the computer which is a rumored requirement.
This may prove to be a more difficult and technical an endeavor than can be overcome initially but I'm on your side and will certainly follow along.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You are likely the first test pilot in regards to attempting to retrofit the TFT to a bike that came without and therefor you already know more than probably anybody about it so far.
As far as the wire connector and the computer (ZFE or BMS-X) I think that you need to either change or add/adapt wiring to operate the extra functions of the TFT screen that are not found on the analog instrument GS's and also get the new computer that drives the TFT.
There is also the problem of enabling the TFT within the computer which is a rumored requirement.
This may prove to be a more difficult and technical an endeavor than can be overcome initially but I'm on your side and will certainly follow along.
So the wirings for the 2017 bikes were different or in general the bikes without TFT have a different wiring?
I have a 2018 non TFT......Im also swinging in favor of TFT....I have no frekaing clue why I didnt order when i got the bike.....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I believe the difference in wiring is between the GS's with the round 10-pin diagnostic plug and the 2017.5 (X6ABA wiring) and newer bikes with the new car style trapezoid shape OBD2 plug.
BMW produced a TFT retrofit kit for dealers in Europe earlier this year to install the screens as a "free TFT screen" promotion on bikes equipped with the new X6ABA wiring, very few dealers utilized this kit though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm following this with much interest. I love someone who is gonna do something that hasn't been done, damn the costs. Good luck with this and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
News

I have my TFT screen, I have the proper main wiring loop and on top of that, i also have the right and left switches. Next weekend I'm planning to start the retrofit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the difference in wiring is between the GS's with the round 10-pin diagnostic plug and the 2017.5 (X6ABA wiring) and newer bikes with the new car style trapezoid shape OBD2 plug.
BMW produced a TFT retrofit kit for dealers in Europe earlier this year to install the screens as a "free TFT screen" promotion on bikes equipped with the new X6ABA wiring, very few dealers utilized this kit though.
If you have a part nr for the retrofit kit, that will help :) thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "Bizzarul, μήνυμα: 284555, μέλος: 77887"]
Νέα

Έχω την οθόνη TFT μου, έχω την κατάλληλη κύρια καλωδίωση και πάνω από αυτό, έχω επίσης το δεξί και αριστερό διακόπτες. Το επόμενο Σαββατοκύριακο σχεδιάζω να ξεκινήσω την ανακαίνιση.
[/ ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
[QUOTE = "Bizzarul, μήνυμα: 284555, μέλος: 77887"]
Νέα

Έχω την οθόνη TFT μου, έχω την κατάλληλη κύρια καλωδίωση και πάνω από αυτό, έχω επίσης το δεξί και αριστερό διακόπτες. Το επόμενο Σαββατοκύριακο σχεδιάζω να ξεκινήσω την ανακαίνιση.
[/ ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
[QUOTE = "Bizzarul, post: 284555, μέλος: 77887"]
Νέα

Έχω την οθόνη TFT μου, έχω την κατάλληλη κύρια βρόχο καλωδίωσης και πάνω από αυτό, έχω επίσης το δεξί και αριστερό διακόπτες. Το επόμενο Σαββατοκύριακο σχεδιάζω να ξεκινήσω την ανακαίνιση.
[/ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
Γεια φίλος μου .. εγώ επίσης είμαι bmw gs 1200 περιπέτεια 2016 ... σκέφτηκα ότι θα μπορούσα να το κάνω με οθόνη TFT θα μπορούσατε να μου πείτε αν μπορεί και να το χρειαστεί από ανταλλακτικά .. ευχαριστώ πολύ ...

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I can't see that working as the TFT is too tied into the bikes brain (ECU). At best I think he might get a speed and maybe tach, but a lot of the functions aren't even available on that bike. I can see wanting the TFT as it is amazing but an aftermarket instrument display or even a touch screen running a dash board app might be easier to get functional. Anyway, hope this worked out for him and he at least was able to get the bike back to stock for trade in (hint). Who knows, maybe this guy was a wizard and knew how to hack the computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i´m also interested in this issue! what I´ve seen until this moment is that the X6ABA ("connectivity" harness) is attached to the bikes already WITH the TFT... I have a 2017.06, Euro4 (obd2 conector NOT round) but there was no connectivity option when it was produced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In fact, and since I'm rebuilding my bike due to an accident, I need to check if changing the wires (and from the analog cluster to TFT) would be enough...

Which is the right tool to codify the new instrument cluster (regardless of analog or TFT)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts