R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the new model (2004), what are ABS evolution from 2004 until now in term of ABS system ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The bike started with iABS which BMW introduced in 2002 model year bikes. In 2007 or 2008 BMW switched to iABS II. The newer system does not have the electro power assist that annoyed so many people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why does the electro power on i ABS I is an issue ?

do you have more info or article on this ?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
do you have more info or article on this ?
Only a bunch of opinions. The real down side is that if the power went out or if the electro-servo mechanism failed the amount of effort needed to stop the bike changed. This left people thinking that they had no brakes. Actually, most had the same braking ability, they just needed a hell of a lot more squeezing on the brake lever to get it. Worst case was intermittent problems. I am only aware of one case of that.

Another down side is that the power assist could possibly mask (this is debatable) a bad bleed. If true, then loss of power could indeed lead to no brakes.

The final straw was the motorcycle press which insisted that the brakes and the BMW switch gear are both the spawn of satan.

In actuality the problems that the nay-sayers insisted would happen, didn't. Many folks who had the power assist brakes found that they missed them when changing to a newer model that didn't have them.

I had the first go around of servo-assist brakes on an '02 RT. They were overly sensitive. Wiggling your toes was enough to trigger the ABS! The version on my '05 GS, on the other hand, are not nearly as sensitive. They are fine. The front brake is noisy (you can hear the servo pump whining when the brakes are on) but I wear ear plugs so it doesn't bother me. I've never had a problem with the brakes on either the '02 or the '05.

I've not tried the newer iABS II so I can't comment on them. Maybe I'd like them better. Maybe not.

Some love them. Some hate them. I think most folks don't care.

Kind of like ABS in general.

·
Reverend Noob
236 Posts
I'll just echo what Marc said. I've put a little over 40,000 miles on my '05 with power assisted brakes. Love them and never even think about them. They work great. The only down side I know of is maintenance cost are a little higher, I believe, than on the later ABS equipted bikes.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts