R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hope everyone is good :)

I've searched the forums but couldn't find anyone with the same issue, so please bear with me if I missed something.

I have an 2010 R1200GS AC, high mileage but well maintained.

I went out for a short ride to gym today, and when I left to go home I heard a weird rattling sound and am feeling a rattle in the bars.

If the clutch is pulled in, there is no rattle, but in gear and letting out the clutch I can feel the rattle quite strongly, especially under acceleration. The higher the gear I'm in, the faster the rattle (i.e. 2nd rattles faster than 1st gear, 3rd faster than 2nd etc.). It definitely doesn't feel like a small issue, and was instantly noticeable as new and problematic.

It almost feels like the clutch isn't disengaging entirely.

Can anyone advise as to what the problem might be?

Possibly unrelated, but for the last two weeks the bike would not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in (and sidestand up), and needs to be started in neutral. I'm not sure if there's a connection between these.

I'm relatively handy but am still new to the GS - any advice would be much appreciated.

Best,

Y.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What are you considering high mileage?

The not starting in gear is a safety switch mostly likely sticking or out of adjustment. Mine all do it sometimes other times they'll star in gear with the clutch pulled in.

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
Was a new clutch put in when the engine was replaced?

Clutch life depends on how it is used, but usually 50-80,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the invoice from the repair and it doesn't look like they replaced the clutch. Will take a look today but going to bite the bullet if I can't manage to diagnose it myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys

Found the problem - this is a final drive failure correct? This is the boot just behind the engine - looks like the pin in the middle has folded.

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
Looks like you need a new or used driveshaft. Best to pull the swingarm off, check/lubricate swingarm pivot bearings while there. And lubricate splines on replacement drveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
Here is what you are in for. If mechanically inclined, very doable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear, I have been seeing a lot of the driveshafts rusting, but it tends to happen more often on the newer LC's than AC's, first time I see a driveshaft broken like that. I see you also in SA, start with German Motorcycle parts, they should be able to help you with a second hand driveshaft

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I hope everyone is good :)

I've searched the forums but couldn't find anyone with the same issue, so please bear with me if I missed something.

I have an 2010 R1200GS AC, high mileage but well maintained.

I went out for a short ride to gym today, and when I left to go home I heard a weird rattling sound and am feeling a rattle in the bars.

If the clutch is pulled in, there is no rattle, but in gear and letting out the clutch I can feel the rattle quite strongly, especially under acceleration. The higher the gear I'm in, the faster the rattle (i.e. 2nd rattles faster than 1st gear, 3rd faster than 2nd etc.). It definitely doesn't feel like a small issue, and was instantly noticeable as new and problematic.

It almost feels like the clutch isn't disengaging entirely.

Can anyone advise as to what the problem might be?

Possibly unrelated, but for the last two weeks the bike would not start in gear even with the clutch pulled in (and sidestand up), and needs to be started in neutral. I'm not sure if there's a connection between these.

I'm relatively handy but am still new to the GS - any advice would be much appreciated.

Best,

Y.
hello ypanchia
did this repair on my 2009 gsa 12 mths ago,if the uj carier is not damaged you will be able to put in greaseable uj's instead. the splines were worn on the rear yoke on mine ,bmw would not sell this part on it's own.
new shaft quote was 950 euro so bought as new rt shaft of a breaker for 50 euro and put in new uj,s and used the telescopic end of the rt as well ,had to shorten it 10 mm to make it fit, but now has movement to counteract wear on splines,I fitted grease nipples to both end yokes as well so as to be able to grease from the side with only the boot to move side ways.the uj's are greased through the female splines at both ends.it's not ideal but at least once a year ,I can let the fd hang down and grease it .1 hr job
I will be doing the clutch on mine soon as it has started to slip ,if and when I have it out I can take some pictures for you
best regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts