R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Does anybody know if it is possible to update the software of the bike and get some more info at the display? My bike (R1200GS 2007) have a really basic configuration and it only shows Trip 1 and Trip 2 distance. It would be nice to have at least the range and the outside temperature.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 ecu

Hi.
Does anybody know if it is possible to update the software of the bike and get some more info at the display? My bike (R1200GS 2007) have a really basic configuration and it only shows Trip 1 and Trip 2 distance. It would be nice to have at least the range and the outside temperature.
Thanks.
As far as I know the ECU on that generation is not the same as the oil cooled 2010-2012 model and therefore the update that you are looking for is likely not available.

Of course if you really want to be sure that your bike has all of the updates pertaining to your model it’s probably best to take your bike to a dealer near you and get your bike plugged into their computer. For the 30 minutes of their time to perform the check and download any possible updates that your bike doesn’t have shouldn’t cost more than $50.00 I would imagine.

Other than that there countless temp display units in the aftermarket and a Garmin Navigator can be programmed in accordance with your tanks range.

Personally I’d just check my phone for ambient temps and use one of the trip meters to physically mark zero from an empty tank a few times under various conditions and you will quickly get a sense of the range of your bike.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
When the fuel level drops into the "reserve" range (about 40-50 miles left) and the low-fuel warning (yellow triangle and flashing gas pump) comes on, a third trip meter showing miles left in the tank will appear and start counting down. So you do have a range indicator. At least that's what my '06 does.

I don't think it's possible to do more than a guesstimated range remaining on a pre-2008 model, as the saughstrahlpumpe ("sucking jet pump") keeps the left side of the tank (where the level sender is) full until the right half has been almost completely emptied. That's why the gas gauge goes from "full" to "1/2" instantly around 90-110 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies.
It would be nice to have these functions onboard, but maybe I can just install a small temp. gauge on a 3d printed part fitted close to the dash. The range would be better to have it all the time, but it is what it is.
I will post an update if I add some temp. gauge somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts