R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My R1200GS Lc from Nov 2014 now have 25,000 km on the clock. I have from the beginning been annoyed and complained to my dealer in Bangkok about engine rattle around 4000 Rpm. The answer from the dealer came very fast and appears to be a standard answer "this is normal".
What worries me is that the rattle is not there when the engine is fx 20 Deg. C in the morning and I bring it to the Rpm where the problem is, but then when it warmed up the Rattle comes. It happens in all gears and when the engine are pulling moderate. This is exactly the same thing you would experience fx with a connecting rod bearing where the tolerance is too high - Cold oil no noise, but with warm oil the metal knocks through the Oil film.
Anyone here have experienced this ?

·
Not that senior.
690 Posts
balance the throttles

Try balancing the throttles before you do anything else.

Might sound to simple, but if one cylinder is working harder than the other, your symptoms would be exactly what i would expect.

Takes half an hour to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gdayjr, I will try this. I never tried to balance throttles on a "drive by wire" bike but there must be a procedure for it I can Google up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Peter, what dealer are you using??? I use MF Mottorrad and they are very easy to work with so far.... 29KM south of the expressway on Rama 2 (RT 35) .... This being my first boxer I can not tell what is normal noise or an issue... There are a lot of sounds coming from the engine, including a rattle... It runs smooth and strong so I assume it is fine... Only have 3K on it so far but I am loving it !!!! Glad I didn't get the GTL for these roads here....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Pilot,
First I also want say that the bike is perfect for traveling here in Thailand and Asia and the suspension and general comfort is close to perfect for the roads here. A sports bike do not make much sence to me here. Should I change would it be to a more enduro minded and lighter bike like a 149 kilogram KTM 690 since I like to get off the paved road also and then the weight is a killer if you get stuck alone.
I'm using BBK Motorcyckle at Rama 3. The local knowledge about the large boxers are for natural reasons not collected by the BMW dealers here in Thailand so they must consult with Germany on most questions and maybe the answers are not fully given over due to the language barrier. I see many R1200Lc owners complain about engine noice, and many of them coming from an older GS. Some of the bikes had serious and even fatal issues like lose bolts in the clutch that came off and valve seat issues. This is also my first boxer so nothing to compare with but I have owned many different bikes since 40 years and non of them had a strange sound that did not have an explanation, and as a maintenance engineer I don't settle with the answer "It's normal" I want at least an explanation on what makes the noice and why not to worry. About service from BMW Thailand; they have room for improvement Fx on spareparts. Before Christmas I went to 20,000 km service to be ready for my 4,000 km Christmas tour and then they did not have valve shims on stock in Thailand !!!! Delivery time 4 weeks..... which again was difficult to absorbe. I was close to a meltdown and told them to put the bike together and call me when the shims shows up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
.....Anyone here have experienced this ?
Well, yes to a certain degree. My bike when new had a distinct vibration/increase in noise at exactly 4,000 RPM to about 4,900 RPM. This has since largely gone away at 21,000 miles, but 3,800 RPM or above 5,000 is still the smoothest.

The difference between what you are describing and what I experienced is that I never felt any difference hot or cold....except that I would never rev the engine above about 3,800 until the temps had stabilized, about 3-4 minutes on average, so I can't compare exactly. It just happens that 3-4 minutes is the time it takes me to get out to the highway.:)

There is absolutely no doubt that the new boxers have more noise than the older ones, but not having had an old one I can't compare....it sure is a LOT noisier than my 2011 F650GS, but I have gotten used to it and so far there seem to be no issues at all with the bike. Others have not had such a good experience.

The only way to really tell is to put it side by side with the same model and year and compare. Mine is the same as the other two I have had the opportunity to check against.

·
2015 R1200GS
12 Posts
From what I understand of the fly by wire throttles the balancing or syncing of the throttles is done electronically. I don't think that it is a screw driver job.

The dealer?? If they needed balancing they should be able to identify this and correct with the diagnostic tools.

Mine tends to ping, or at least that is what it sounds like, at moderate loads at low revs. I use 98 octane whenever possible. If you are using fuel with sufficient octane rating, maybe a silly suggestion, but try riding it through this rev range while changing gears. once in top you might not be able to avoid though. Another silly but sound idea is to wear ear plugs - saves your hearing and will dull this noise a bit.

Cheers, Simmo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rocky and Simmon,
Thx for your inputs. The valve shims finally came to Thailand 4 weeks and 6000 km late so the bike is now at the dealer and they are looking at the rattle issue as well. As Simmo mention It's not a screw driver job but that also opens for issues if the technician is new generation and just rely on what he can see on a screen so I tried to get them to put on the old fashion U- Pipe pressure Guage to be sure the the throttles actually are balanced correct since there could be a wrong feedback signal.
Knocking due to low octane can sometimes be heard when I use too much torque at low rpm but I have not experienced it at over about 3000 rpm, the rattle is also strongest at moderate load. In Thailand and Asia in general it's not easy to get higher than 95 octane unless using E 20 fuel (20% ethanol) which BMW don't recommend.
The BM shop now gets another look at it and it might be that it's just how it is and I have to stop worry that it will stop me somewhere on a remote dirt road in the outskirts of Asia.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe, but can't prove, that some of the harshness in that RPM range is due to a lean running condition due to smog testing and regulations. Most emission testing has a steady running test in the range of 1/2 of redline RPM's. Hence, most manufacturers lean the FI mapping out really bad in that range to pass overly strict emission regulations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Shirereve
Didn't mention but I have eliminated all this in the following way.
1. Headers from Akraprovic without cat and exhaust valve scraped. Gives by the way a nice note to the exhaust sound without going too noisy.
2. O2 sensors eliminated with resistor and capacitor.
3. Booster plug that adds 6% more fuel to the full range so you get close to ideal gas/air mix.
This transformed the bike completely and removed week idling, stalling in city trafik and flat spots on power and torque curve. This is something I will recommend to all GS lc owners unless you care more for gas milage than a strong pulling engine. I didn't care to test on a dyno but I have no doubts that is can be seen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Shirereve
Didn't mention but I have eliminated all this in the following way.
1. Headers from Akraprovic without cat and exhaust valve scraped. Gives by the way a nice note to the exhaust sound without going too noisy.
2. O2 sensors eliminated with resistor and capacitor.
3. Booster plug that adds 6% more fuel to the full range so you get close to ideal gas/air mix.
This transformed the bike completely and removed week idling, stalling in city trafik and flat spots on power and torque curve. This is something I will recommend to all GS lc owners unless you care more for gas milage than a strong pulling engine. I didn't care to test on a dyno but I have no doubts that is can be seen.
If I'm not mistaken, the booster plug could be part of the issue. I seem to recall that the computer within the motorcycle is adaptive and learns that the booster plug is there and compensates back to the original fuel curves. There are other devices that overcome that issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Sherereeve
Thx for the input, I'll look into that.
I just picked up the bike from service and it runs uneven when idling which was not the case before !!! Maybe something in that ballpark. The service guy said something about a reset and maybe it means back to super lean fuel mixture.
Which other device are you referring too ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
My R1200GS Lc from Nov 2014 now have 25,000 km on the clock. I have from the beginning been annoyed and complained to my dealer in Bangkok about engine rattle around 4000 Rpm. The answer from the dealer came very fast and appears to be a standard answer "this is normal".
What worries me is that the rattle is not there when the engine is fx 20 Deg. C in the morning and I bring it to the Rpm where the problem is, but then when it warmed up the Rattle comes. It happens in all gears and when the engine are pulling moderate. This is exactly the same thing you would experience fx with a connecting rod bearing where the tolerance is too high - Cold oil no noise, but with warm oil the metal knocks through the Oil film.
Anyone here have experienced this ?
Did you ever solve your motor noise? I have a 2015 gsa with 23,000 km and have what seems like the exact same noise coming from my motor starting around 3200 rpm. Sounds more like a knock than a tick, and only under moderate acceleration, after the motor has warmed up to operating temp. cold, it is not there. And hot or cold, the motor is smooth and noise free below 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
341 Posts
PeterOnTheRoad,
I experienced severe rattling problems at all RPM on my 2013 LC. My engine became very noisy at all rpm ranges when warm. Mine turned out to be big-end bearings and required them to be replaced. This is a task that I completed myself.
*** I'm not suggesting that my problem is the same as yours.

·
Registered
171 Posts
PeterOnTheRoad,
I experienced severe rattling problems at all RPM on my 2013 LC. My engine became very noisy at all rpm ranges when warm. Mine turned out to be big-end bearings and required them to be replaced. This is a task that I completed myself.
*** I'm not suggesting that my problem is the same as yours.
Wow what kind of mileage are we talking about ? How complex was it to change the bearings?

·
Registered
341 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts