R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 with 12000 miles, (Dealer serviced at 6000), needs Oil & Filter and Final Gear Oil? But what else?! I'll re-read Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance before I start. But I really need more instruction! All your suggestions and recommendations are really welcome and requested. Is there a really good, complete service guide, the kind that tells me what I don't know that I don't know? (BTW, I've had so many failures and screw-ups at my local Dealer, that I've decided I can't possibly screw it up any worse than they will, if I just take my time, pay attention and ask for help.)
Repeating for emphasis: ALL suggestions and recommendations are welcome and requested!
For starters, is there a good online place to order maintenance items, tools or kits? Is there that one recognized authoritative service manual, with the little tricks and tweaks you don't get in the factory manuals?
How about tools, or maintenance time and aggravation savers?

I also have a 14 R1200RT coming up on 12000. Did I see several references to GS 911? Worth the money and where do I find such? And, it works for the R1200RT as well?!

Sorry...soo many questions. Please just, "let me have it," feel free to unload on me. I can take it!

·
Survivor
776 Posts
These are relatively easy bikes on which to perform scheduled maintenance tasks. I recommend you get the following resources.

The Jim Von Baden maintenance DVD. Available at JVB Productions. The DVD shows routine maintenance tasks in an easy to follow manner. Jim’s website also provides videos and tech data that will be helpful. It provides a listing of torque values and recommended tools.

The BMW Service DVD. BMW uses the DVD format in lieu of printed versions.

Haines Service Manual for the liquid cooled boxers. I find it easier to use the printed instructions and it provides more illustrations.

GS-911 diagnostic tool. This will allow you to perform maintenance functions such as cycling the ABS pump, reset the service reminder, determine what fault codes are present and reset them, and reset adaptive values.

At least one torque wrench.

Torex screw driver set, torex sockets and torex t-handled set

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I strongly recommend purchasing the BMW RSD DVD from your dealer, it costs a bit over $100 and is a complete full line technical service/repair instruction manual on DVD that can be downloaded to your PC or laptop, the needed pages can be printed off and taken into your garage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake Bleed Tool/Kit?

Thanks, ALL. I really appreciate the help!! Anybody found a good, quick, fool-proof brake bleeder for the R1200GS service. I'd like to try it!

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Thanks, ALL. I really appreciate the help!! Anybody found a good, quick, fool-proof brake bleeder for the R1200GS service. I'd like to try it!
I use Speed Bleeders. Makes the job easy, but it will not be complete until you activate the ABS pump. Hence the GS-911.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Two hands

I've been doing it by myself since I've owned the bike. Wrench, plastic tubing and a reach to the brake lever. Turkey baster to empty old DOT 4, add new DOT 4, Loosen bleeder, pump, close bleeder and repeat. Add more DOT 4 as needed. I use a 911 too, but I can't tell the difference if I don't use it!

·
Survivor
776 Posts
I've been doing it by myself since I've owned the bike. Wrench, plastic tubing and a reach to the brake lever. Turkey baster to empty old DOT 4, add new DOT 4, Loosen bleeder, pump, close bleeder and repeat. Add more DOT 4 as needed. I use a 911 too, but I can't tell the difference if I don't use it!
If you could tell the difference after doing it, then you likely had a problem that needed to be resolved. It is like having a septic tank pumped on a regular schedule. You won't notice any difference right after you do it, but if you do not do it, then things may get real ugly (expensive) down the road.

Reactions: Krons

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
In BMW's service manual there is no suggestion to activate the ABS pump during a brake bleed/flush, not that it's a bad idea but it doesn't do much in terms of expelling old fluid.
One key step to take during the process is to retract and block the calipers full open, this is skipped by many and results in a lot of old brake fluid remaining in the system.
It's also recommended to use Low Viscosity (LV /ELV) DOT4 brake fluid which gets missed as well.

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Getting fresh fluid into the pump is a very good thing as is exercising the mechanical bits, valves for example. Of course, this can be accomplished without a GS-911 by engaging the ABS during practice emergency stops and maneuvers, which are also a very good things to do.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you could tell the difference after doing it, then you likely had a problem that needed to be resolved. It is like having a septic tank pumped on a regular schedule. You won't notice any difference right after you do it, but if you do not do it, then things may get real ugly (expensive) down the road.
60K miles and no issues. I think it's more important to use the 911 on the rear than front. Seems there's a design issue with the rear requiring more frequent bleeding.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I use Speed Bleeders. Makes the job easy, but it will not be complete until you activate the ABS pump. Hence the GS-911.
I've used speed bleeders in the past, but this is the first bike I've had that takes different sizes for the left and right front bleeders. Just getting for my first bleed on this bike and was surprised when I went to order them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, I have a 2017 GS Rallye. Does anyone know the correct SpeedBleeder parts for it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bruce, awesome, thank you! I called Russell, dropped a Tech Support request, got a confirmation email promising a call back. That was 5 days ago, LOL. Their website is useless, Amazon was useless, ditto with EBay. I didn't realize I need such difficult info 😂

-- Bradley

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200GS
9 Posts
Bruce, awesome, thank you! I called Russell, dropped a Tech Support request, got a confirmation email promising a call back. That was 5 days ago, LOL. Their website is useless, Amazon was useless, ditto with EBay. I didn't realize I need such difficult info 😂

-- Bradley
Hi Bradley. For reference, I placed an order with Speedbleeder.com last week for my GS and got an email confirmation yesterday that they were shipped yesterday. All done on their secure ordering form on their website; just select the correct bleeder for your bike and place your order. Sorry for your troubles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts