R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends bike has the same old mushy spongy dropped rear pedal problem. The dealer "fixed" it by raising the rear pedal......my friend picked up the bike and 1 mile down the rear brake jammed and he barely saved himself.
Someone had posted a manual screenshot of how the rear pedal is not to be adjusted beyond 1mm. I cant seem to find it if someone can help...

·
Survivor
710 Posts
As your friend learned, it is a bad idea to try to adjust the rear brake pedal. The solution to the spongy pedal is regular bleeding. It is required more often than it should be, but that's what it takes. I read some posts about people replacing the rear master cylinder and resolving the issue, but I know no details about how it is done. Other options are to replace the foot pedal with a GSA pedal or aftermarket pedal that raises the height, but that is a band-ade not a solution.

Reactions: mikec

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership did it......I had the MC replaced on my bike and its been working perfectly.
Someone had posted a picture from a repair manual that adjustment is only 1mm...just needed that to show the dealership that they screwed up by raising the pedal.
I think it was jetspeed maybe?

There is no height adjustment on stock setup. To do so will lock brakes!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Page 2:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Page 2:

Thanks @tic105. This same one......

·
Super Awesom Person
615 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2018 GS. I tried adjusting the pedal with no luck. Took it to the dealer and they flushed it and re-adjusted the pedal and it's been fine for over 2000 miles so far. The brake flush is the correct way to go. There is a very long thread on the Adventure forum about the back brake and I wanted the dealer to work on the brake so they have a record of it. bmw r1200gs lc rear brake failures

1 - 8 of 8 Posts