R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I'm seriously considering buying a 2016 as I was thrilled after the test drive. I'm curious to know how reliable these bikes have been in recent years and how well BMW has stood behind their product when there were issues. These bikes have a tremendous amount of technology, and being in the software business for the past 30 years that's a concern for me. The reviews I've read have been very positive, but I'm sure there is another side.

·
Registered
749 Posts
As I'm seriously considering buying a 2016 as I was thrilled after the test drive. I'm curious to know how reliable these bikes have been in recent years and how well BMW has stood behind their product when there were issues. These bikes have a tremendous amount of technology, and being in the software business for the past 30 years that's a concern for me. The reviews I've read have been very positive, but I'm sure there is another side.
My 2014 never given me a problem I didn't create. The nay sayers make more noise than the folks that have never had an issue!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2014 never given me a problem I didn't create. The nay sayers make more noise than the folks that have never had an issue!
Agreed! I'm just trying to get the facts so I can make a good decision. These forums are a great way to learn if you ask the right questions and get a bunch on honest feedback. Thks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most of the tech stuff has found its way to the GS by way of their other high end products, K16 and the RT... So not new to them, just added to this line.. A welcome addition if I might say so... I have a lot of these on my K16GTL and they work as advertised... Makes things safer and easier for the end user...

·
Registered
89 Posts
R1200gs Reliability

My 2013 GSLC hasn't missed a beat since day one. It has had two recalls for switchgear (improved) and the other escapes me at the moment. But absolutely no reliability issues whatsoever. Absolutely love the ergos and performance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
reliability

39,000mi on 2013GS water pump, switch gear, rear seal transmission shaft, update on clutch, heated grip update to higher heat. All under warranty then traded for 2015 GS now 8,500mi and no trouble at all. Still the best bike I ever rode.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SMM asked about how well BMW stands behind its products. My GSA is too new to have any experience with that on this bike, but this is my 9th BMW. Most of them never had any major issues, but one was a 2013 K1600GT that burned a lot of oil. BMW replaced the engine. Any minor issues on any of the bikes were always attended to immediately under warranty. These included some bad switch clusters (also on a K1600, which uses the same switches as now used on the GS), but the switches seem to have been redesigned now for better reliability. My 2007 GS had a leak in the final drive oil seal, which was replaced immediately when I stopped at the dealer without an appointment.

My impression is that BMW takes customer satisfaction seriously when it comes to mechanical failures of any kind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
break fluid container

My 2013 GSLC hasn't missed a beat since day one. It has had two recalls for switchgear (improved) and the other escapes me at the moment. But absolutely no reliability issues whatsoever. Absolutely love the ergos and performance!
The other recal was for chaning the break fluid container or what ever its called in english... I have also a 2013 GsLC n havent had any problems... This summer I took a tour down europe from scandinavia to the balkans .... the only thing that made me warried was when I was riding down a steep mountain road in northern greece and had to stop for changing my GoPro battery when suddenly the oil lamp turned on!
I got kind of scared because this had never happened... turned off the engine and rolled down a 100m to a place more level than steep and checked the oil but there was no problem... later I asked a question about it on the GS forum in Facebook and many said its bcz when you ride down a steep then all the oil goes to the front of the engine and the oil lamp migh turn on but nothing damaging etc....

You should buy one, its the best bike Ive ever had... I love all the power and electronics... my bike is fully equiped with all the goodies you could have on a Gs LC.... I really dont miss my old sportsbikes this one is a keeper!

Good luck
Kurdo

·
Registered
11 Posts
2015 with no problems

I have a 2015 GS. About 9000 miles on it with 4,500 of those miles being a cross country trip from Kentucky to New Mexico and back in June. The bike took me through great weather, terrible wind and rain and 105 degree weather all with no problem. I had the oil light and engine light codes others have mentioned. I rode my bike to the really awesome Santa Fe BMW store and they gave my bike a thorough going over without an appointment and reported the light codes were just a computer glitch. The lights reset themselves and on I rode. Having said that if you keep the GS long enough you will start making modifications to suit your personal preferences... I use a Russell Day Long Seat, Touratech Zega Mundo luggage and Black Dog Cycle Works skid plate just to name a few. Rotopax for long distance trips. Just have fun with the bike and it will get better and better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2012 GSA that had the main seal fail at 1900 miles. Stranded in Utah 125 miles away from the dealership in Sandy. Roadside assistance picked me and my bike up and transported it to Sandy. The shop called some of the folks who had appointments and asked if they could be put on hold while they fixed my bike while I was on a big trip. Bike was fixed in two days. BMW reimbursed me for everything. Finished the trip. Had the Dealership I bought the bike from call the Sandy dealership to offer whatever they could to take care of it. Good luck getting that from some of the other brands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 GS with 7500 trouble free miles, except for the collision with the deer that required a new radiator and some plastic and 1 fork tube. I just hope this bike gives me as good of service as my Japanese bikes have. Love the bike so far and have done some 1000 mile days on it and started to custom fit it to my needs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts