R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trying to cover long distance on interstates, how fast of a speed can these bikes maintain, single rider, loaded for camping and fishing etc?
Thx.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
120 Posts
Theses bikes are made for Germany autoban speeds... As long as the tires have an appropriate rating, don't even think about it in North America. We are talking about over 100 Mph fully loaded all day long.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the aerodynamics allowed 100mph + is feasible. The trouble with adventure bikes generally the fairings are not suitable for super high speed cruising. so fatigue would soon slow down most riders.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Have happily maintained 140kmph........here in India before a stray dog or cow comes in front of you!
Have touched 180-190 also

·
Registered
2 Posts
The BMW OEM Touratech panniers have a maximum recommended speed rating of 180kph/110mph. I guess that's it...
If you use soft panniers, no idea
Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
6th gear @ 4000 rpm = 70 mph. That is a good baseline for calculating higher speeds.
9,000 rpm redline
6th gear
5,000 rpm = 85 mph speedo
5800 - 5900 rpm = 100 mph speedo
So I have been told ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
An interstate might not be the best place to go arrest me fast on the GS or GSA. I live where there are hundreds of miles of flat empty back roads and use a high quality radar detector when I might want to get out of town/county/state VERY quickly. The problem that I experience is my girl starts drinking heavy when I get north of 75 mph. I have not done a comparison to see if riding faster gets me farther/faster but I will have emptied my 7+ gallon tank at 180 miles vs my typical 240 miles at 75-80. But she will run all day in triple digits fully loaded and not break a sweat.
While not an apples to apples comparison, I keep my K1600GT in Germany. That big girl will go all day at 130-140 mph on the motorways of Europe fully loaded. But I have been passed by cars that make me feel like I'm standing still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts