R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I'm new to my BMW R1200GSA 2011.

Today, after about a 4-hour ride on 4k-5k rev (70-80 mph)
I arrived in New Orleans, and as I was standing at the side of the road, trying to figure out where to spend the night, I smelled hot air. (Nothing burning, just hot air coming from the engine)
The engine was running in neutral gear, and the fog light and heated grips were both on but in neutral.

I looked at the engine temperature gauge, and it climbed to full bars (top arrow, but not more) when it usually sits during the ride on the 2nd bar above the lower arrow. (See image)

I turned the engine off immediately and, after about 10-15 minutes, started it again and drove slowly to my hotel, which was about 20 minutes in slow traffic riding.

The temperature gauge, remaining in the 2nd bar above the lower arrow, and that was where it stayed until I arrived at my final destination.

I just had the oil and filter changed about 1k miles ago.

So,
1. Is that normal?
2. Is that because it's oil-cooled, and the engine needs to be in motion to keep normal work temperature?

Uri

Plant Auto part Display device Font Machine

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,716 Posts
It normal when the oil cooled motors are hot, they smell hot.

It also not a great idea to let them idle endlessly. While the chance of overheating is small it's not doing them any good idling away on the side stand while you go about your business. If you stop for any duration, say longer than a red-light turn the bike off. You save fuel and do not put any more heat into the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It normal when the oil cooled motors are hot, they smell hot.

It also not a great idea to let them idle endlessly. While the chance of overheating is small it's not doing them any good idling away on the side stand while you go about your business. If you stop for any duration, say longer than a red-light turn the bike off. You save fuel and do not put any more heat into the engine.
Thanks.
This is my first oil-cooled bike, and I was a little concerned.
Not anymore 😀

1 - 3 of 3 Posts