R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of fitting engine crash bars to my R1250GS.

Having Googled the subject I am drawn to Touratech's stainless steel bars. Rather like the fact that they have four mounting points. Rather pricey though.

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have stockers on my '17 GSA so I assume BMW knows what they were doing. A point I have seen raised is that to some extent, engine crash bars should be sacrificial. The worlds strongest crash bars may transmit impact to the frame, not a good outcome.

No idea how one could independently evaluate aftermarket bars for this feature, if it is even a significant one....

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts
Altrider

Having Googled the subject I am drawn to Touratech's stainless steel bars. Rather like the fact that they have four mounting points. Rather pricey though.

I like Altrider's fit and finish and they don't suffer from the bend in weakness at the valve covers that Touratech's are know for.

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
I have the BMW bars on my 2018GS and you have to partly remove them to adjust the valves and replace the spark plugs. I knew that going in but my biggest complaint is hitting my shin on the right side bar.
When I replace them I'll go with AltRider. No way to hit my shin if the bar isn't there.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Take a look at Altrider. They allow you to service the valves without having to remove the crash bars and are very well made.
I had them on my GS and if I ever replace the stock ones that came on my GSA it will be Altriders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The AltRider founder has a good sales pitch on youtube where he walks through the thinking and engineering that went into their bars. It was very educational. Definitely a sales pitch though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to this thread Altrider seem to be the way to go. Unfortunately they are not yet available here in the UK.

Choosing which crash bars to purchase is proving to be a bit of a minefield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the SW-Motech engine engine crash bars in black from Twistedthrottle.com at my BMW dealer's suggestion since my bike has the "exclusive" paint scheme with the black engine. They look great on the bike and the reviews are good.

Fortunately, I have not put them to the test. Good Luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont quote me on this, but I think Heed Crash Bars are in Europe?
Oops! I just quoted you!!!!

Heed appear to market their products in Europe but not in the the UK. Also they currently haven't got a crash bar for the 1250.

Truth be told I would like to fit XHead covers (which I had on my 1200GS) but they are still in development and won't be available for several more months.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have made a decision!!!!!

Genuine BMW crash bars currently unavailable.
Touratech have delivery issues.
SW Motech have (allegedly) poor finish?????
Heed unavailable.
Altrider unavailable.

Rightly or wrongly have ordered Wunderlich stainless steel crash bars plus matching centre strut.

Hope I will be happy with my choice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have made a decision!!!!!

Genuine BMW crash bars currently unavailable.
Touratech have delivery issues.
SW Motech have (allegedly) poor finish?????
Heed unavailable.
Altrider unavailable.

Rightly or wrongly have ordered Wunderlich stainless steel crash bars plus matching centre strut.

Hope I will be happy with my choice.
Any crash bar is better then no crash bar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
(Sorry for my English, I’m Italian)
I bought a R1250GS with the original BMW crash bars.
A few days ago I read on another forum that one user noticed that the right one does not fully protect the cylinder, which projects out of the tubular frame.
If the bike goes down on the right flank on a flat surface, the first thing that goes in contact is the cylinder, not the protection.
On the left hand side this doesn’t happen.
I verified this using a ruler on my bike and found it is true.

Someone (not me) had also an unfortunate first hand experience.

Anyone noticed the same issue?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ciao
Interesting! The bar on my Wunderlich crashbar is much lower than the BMW one. In fact it runs just above the damage on your cylinder head and slightly below the black plastic spark plug cover.
Ti auguro il meglio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question on the SW-MOTECH crashbars

I got the SW-Motech engine engine crash bars in black from Twistedthrottle.com at my BMW dealer's suggestion since my bike has the "exclusive" paint scheme with the black engine. They look great on the bike and the reviews are good.

Fortunately, I have not put them to the test. Good Luck!
I don't have 15 posts yet so can't send a PM. I'm looking for the diameter of the lower horizontal cross member. Twisted throttle only mentions the 27mm on the main tubular steel.
If you don't respond I'll try to find another way to get the question to you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts