R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again to the Forum: I'm on my fourth GS bike, having taken delivery of an R1250GS in HP trim about six weeks ago, but I had been out of the GS world for about 4 years (focusing on my BMW S1000RR, road racing and general hooliganism). I am loving the new R1250GS, but am mystified by a strange "pop" that happens upon certain kinds of hard acceleration, such as starting from a traffic light, exiting a turn, etc. I have noticed it in several gears, always at low rpm (around 4000 or so). It consists of a single "pop", never more than one, and there isn't any feeling to it, other than the noise. No hesitation or surge, just the pop.

A friend has the same model, and his pops, too.

Searching for this, someone posted about it in a UK GS forum, and it quickly became about the quick shifter's ignition pause mechanism, but this pop happens way before the shift. There sometimes is a "pop" when you shift (just like there is on the RR, it's quite a satisfying "bang" on that one with race exhaust!), but this one is far softer, and again, not even close to when you would shift.

Some say it's the Shift Cam, but from what I've read and seen, that shift happens higher up the rev range...? OR, could it be a load/throttle position reaction to anticipate harder acceleration by the Shift Cam mechanism? Maybe the map senses that you want to accelerate quicker than normal and gives you the higher range sooner than normal?

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Just curious. Not worried, as the other R1250GS does it, too...

(Wanted to post a pic, but since I've never posted - long time lurker - it wouldn't let me)

·
2019 R1250 GSA
148 Posts
Mine does the same. That's the shift cam.

Reactions: dasherpr

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMW 1250gs exhaust POP!

HI i am having the same issues and its driving me crazy. My friend has the same 1250GS HP AND HIS DOESNT WHICH MADE EVEN MORE UPSET. I've reached out to BMW North America and they're telling me to bring it to the dealer which I've already done twice and they can't figure it out! im going to try one more time at a different dealer and if that doesn't work I'm going to hire a lawyer and demand that BMW replace this bike!!! This is totally unacceptable not to mention super annoying when you're riding long distances. We might be looking at a recall! And to ad insult to injury when i went to pick up the bike from the dealer a couple of months ago it had 100miles put on it!!! Not cool!!! they called it a test ride. More like a joy ride!!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine doesn't "pop" (yet) but has this exhausting resonance rattle (see topic "strange noise") when accelerating or riding at a steady speed ... it seems that us "early adopters" are once more punished by BMW who put bikes on the market before they are thoroughly tested.
Some Dutch blogs also mention the popping sound which would be caused by a vacuum, created in the shift cam actuators which are filled up with oil.
Some bikes start having it from some 5.000 kms on the clocks, but most from 10.000 kms on...
Mine has almost done 5.000 kms (3.000 miles)... I wonder if this new "joy" will be added to the highly irritating noise I am already experiencing from day 1...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 3500km on my 1250GS and noticed the pop happens every time you open the throttle-a little less if you open it very slowly. Very annoying. I figured out ( I think) it has nothing to do with the shifters or the can, it is the exhaust system valve opening that causes the pop. I wonder if possibly there is a little unburnt fuel in the muffler and the opening the exhaust valve and blasting more hot exhaust into it lets it explode. Just a thought

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 3500km on my 1250GS and noticed the pop happens every time you open the throttle-a little less if you open it very slowly. Very annoying. I figured out ( I think) it has nothing to do with the shifters or the can, it is the exhaust system valve opening that causes the pop. I wonder if possibly there is a little unburnt fuel in the muffler and the opening the exhaust valve and blasting more hot exhaust into it lets it explode. Just a thought
Makes more sense than it being the ShiftCam, as the pop happens way too early in the rev range. Could very well be.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine has had the pop from the day I picked up the bike from the dealer. I have over 6500 miles on the bike and have grown so used to it that I don’t notice it anymore. I am loving the bike and the 1250 engine. The thought of demanding my money back because the bike pops once on acceleration never crossed my mind. If it bothered me that much, I’d spend my money on a psychiatrist before I hired a lawyer. As for the strange noise that folks are complaining about, like the pop noise, no one has determined or is even suggesting that the strange noise is causing any damage to the bike or affecting the way it rides in any way. I suggest you try ear plugs. Riding without them will most certainly cause irreversible damage to your hearing. With them in, I don’t hear either the pop or the noise enough to register in y consciousness. Win-win.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have around 4200 miles on my GSA and I hear it, like you said under mild acceleration. I just assumed it was the change in pitch from the exhaust valve opening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have around 4200 miles on my GSA and I hear it, like you said under mild acceleration. I just assumed it was the change in pitch from the exhaust valve opening.
I am just on a 4 day trip and have been paying close attention to the pop. I am convinced now it is the shiftcam causing it. Occurs right at 4000-4200 rpm when slightly opening the throttle. What's really annoying is that that is exactly where I cruise at in 6th gear most of the time, Every time I open the throttle slightly there is a pop. Open it quicker and there is a slightly louder pop. Very annoying. Oh, I posted earlier I thought it might be the butterfly valve in the muffler, - I disconnected it for a few hours and it made no difference, so it's not that. I am taking my bike in tomorrow. See what they say.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am just on a 4 day trip and have been paying close attention to the pop. I am convinced now it is the shiftcam causing it. Occurs right at 4000-4200 rpm when slightly opening the throttle. What's really annoying is that that is exactly where I cruise at in 6th gear most of the time, Every time I open the throttle slightly there is a pop. Open it quicker and there is a slightly louder pop. Very annoying. Oh, I posted earlier I thought it might be the butterfly valve in the muffler, - I disconnected it for a few hours and it made no difference, so it's not that. I am taking my bike in tomorrow. See what they say.
I can save you the trip. They're going to say: “They all do it” and pretty much, they will be right. They may also say that “It’s normal.” They say that quite often even when whatever it is that an owner is complaining about isn’t normal. Either way, they aren’t going to make the pop go away. So my suggestion for you is for you to stop paying close attention to the pop, get some ear protection so you won’t hear it and so your hearing will be saved for things that you may want to hear and go out and ride your bike. You will find that it’s a pretty fine ride. However, if you continue to find that the little single pop on hard acceleration is “really annoying,” it may be that the r1250GS isn’t the bike for you. Maybe, you should sell it and get a Zero or a Harley Live Wire, I’m pretty sure that you won’t hear a pop from the engines on either of those bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can save you the trip. They're going to say: “They all do it” and pretty much, they will be right. They may also say that “It’s normal.” They say that quite often even when whatever it is that an owner is complaining about isn’t normal. Either way, they aren’t going to make the pop go away. So my suggestion for you is for you to stop paying close attention to it he pop, get some ear protection so you won’t hear it and will save your hearing for things that you may want to hear and go out and ride your bike. You will find that it’s a pretty fine ride. However, if you continue to find that the little single pop on hard acceleration is “really annoying,” it may be that the r1250GS isn’t the bike for you. Maybe, you should sell it and get a Zero or a Harley Live Wire, I’m pretty sure that you won’t hear a pop from the engines on either of those bikes.
Yeah, we get it. You're annoyed that we find the pop intriguing, to the point of suggesting psychiatric care, or getting rid of the bike. As the original poster, I found through the many useful answers (a) that my bike wasn't the only one doing it, and (b) some interesting theories as to why it does it. On my end, it doesn't bother me, so long as it isn't a sign that something is wrong with the bike, but it just seems like it's something these motors do. So I'm quite alright with the pop. Others find it annoying, and they have every right to express that. Maybe if you don't like that, might I suggest that this thread isn't for you, or that you get psychiatric assistance...?
:wink2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, we get it. You're annoyed that we find the pop intriguing, to the point of suggesting psychiatric care, or getting rid of the bike. As the original poster, I found through the many useful answers (a) that my bike wasn't the only one doing it, and (b) some interesting theories as to why it does it. On my end, it doesn't bother me, so long as it isn't a sign that something is wrong with the bike, but it just seems like it's something these motors do. So I'm quite alright with the pop. Others find it annoying, and they have every right to express that. Maybe if you don't like that, might I suggest that this thread isn't for you, or that you get psychiatric assistance...?
:wink2:
No dasherpr, you have me all wrong. I’m not annoyed in the least that you raised the issue of the popping noise. As a matter of fact, I was glad that you raised it as, from it I learned that my motorcycle is not the only one that pops on acceleration. I also enjoyed reading all of the various theories offered as to what causes our engines to pop as they do. Likewise I took comfort from the posts on this thread in learning that no one seems to be complaining tat their bikes were in any way damaged or not performing up to spec because of the pop and that the worst that anyone has said about the pop is that it is, for them, annoying. Neither am I annoyed that some think that the popping noise is so bothersome that they want to sue BMW or sell their bikes over it. I do however, find it comical on one level and quite sad on another that such a minor quirk in an otherwise amazing motorcycle would drive people these days to get bloody emotional about it or hire lawyers to sue the manufacturer or compel them to sell their bikes. I put this in the same category as I do folks on adventure bikes getting apoplectic over a few grass clippings on a street or finding themselves facing a stretch of hard pack dirt road. Really, have we all become snowflakes looking for our shares of victim status?
And, Yes, I agree that those who post that they are “really annoyed” that, when they “pay close attention” to the sound of their engines under hard acceleration, they can hear a single pop as well as those who post that they want to sue or sell their bikes over it have every right to express their feelings no matte how silly or snowflakelike they may sound. Hopefully, you will agree that I have the same right to express my feelings about the subject, as I have. No?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Further to the pop sound

So, I did bring my bike in to the dealer and they test rode it and heard the sound. They didn't really say whether they thought it was normal or not and didn't really say if any other bikes made the noise or not. Technical NAmerica wanted a video of the noise so my dealer said they spent quite a bit of time with a GoPro but were able to capture the noise on it and submitted it to Technical. AND, just as was alluded to in other posts they said that is a normal charachteristic of the shiftcam shifting to the bigger lobes and does not in any way indicate anything is wrong and in no way affects the rideability. In other words they aren't telling me anything I didn't know other than saying its normal. The frustrating part to me is the two other demo bikes I rode made no pop whatsoever. A thought I had however, is that both of them only had about 1-2000 miles on them. I can't remember if my bike made the pop when I first got it, certainly I didn't notice a pop. Now I'm wondering if it comes on with mileage and all the bikes are going to make that sound once they have some miles on them. If every bike made that sound it would make it a lot easier to live with. Frustrating!

·
Registered
122 Posts
All I can add is I bought my GSA with 1761 miles on it and am now over 5K and i hear that sound with the exact circumstances as you have. I just figured it was the exhaust valve, now knowing it's not, or the shift cam.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine does it if I accelerate aggressively through all the gears with the quickshifter. Will pop at every shift. So what. Kind of cool. Don't think I'll hire a lawyer and good luck with that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great! A popping sound to also look forward to. I’m with Slijkmoto on this. This is my third first gen GS, and while I know I’m a sucker for the newest and greatest, I really believe they dropped the QA ball on this one. Maybe BMW has implemented agile development into their build, ie let their customers find the bugs. When a dealer agrees that the sound would be bothersome on long rides and offers up a 850GS as a solution, then clearly there is more to this than meets the ear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Popping

2020 R1250GSA

Brand new. I hear the same popping sound you are all describing. It’s most audible when I’m running a constant speed/rpm then slowly work the throttle back and forth. When I took it back to the dealer and described the sound they took it for a test ride. When they got back they didn’t acknowledge hearing the popping, they just said the bike is running perfectly.
Chuck

1 - 20 of 48 Posts