R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
"Running perfectly"

2020 R1250GSA

Brand new. I hear the same popping sound you are all describing. It’s most audible when I’m running a constant speed/rpm then slowly work the throttle back and forth. When I took it back to the dealer and described the sound they took it for a test ride. When they got back they didn’t acknowledge hearing the popping, they just said the bike is running perfectly.
Chuck
Shop mechanics of all makes, and types of vehicle, are the last to ever admit something isn't right, unless it's plainly broken. I am the OP on this thread, yet it's never bothered me; I was just curious as to what it may be. Seems to be the VTEC, VVT, whatever the variable valve timing is called. It's become a game now to see when I can trigger the pop, and at what revs.

·
Super Awesom Person
680 Posts
I'm wondering what grade of gasoline your all running. Does the new 1250 require premium? I know the 2017 GS requires premium but my 2018 GS requires regular.
The reason I ask is if it requires regular and you use premium the gas won't fully burn and can cause the pop.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
172 Posts
I'm wondering what grade of gasoline your all running. Does the new 1250 require premium? I know the 2017 GS requires premium but my 2018 GS requires regular.
The reason I ask is if it requires regular and you use premium the gas won't fully burn and can cause the pop.
The R1250 likes premium but will run on regular because the R1250 now has knock sensors. There is a big difference between the "pop" I hear and a pre-detonation (knock).

Reactions: dasherpr

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is yet another interesting angle/theory for the pop.

From the manual:
"Recommended fuel quality
Super unleaded (max 15% ethanol, E10/E15)
89 AKI (95 ROZ/RON)
90 AKI
-----------------------
Alternative fuel quality
Regular unleaded (restrictions with regard to power and fuel consumption). (max 15% ethanol, E10/E15)
87 AKI (91 ROZ/RON)
87 AKI
After refueling with lower quality fuels, there may occasionally be a knocking noise."

In Puerto Rico, the max I can find is 91, and that's what I've always put in it. The sound is totally different from "knocking", which I'm familiar with in GSs, but I guess it could sound a little bit like a detonation. However, it's very "predictable", as in when it makes the pop, now that I've ridden it over 4,000 miles. It's usually at lower revs, upon a quick application of gas. If you roll it on slowly, it won't pop, but when you crack it open faster, pop goes the Beemer. Don't think it's detonation. But it's another one for the list!

·
Super Awesom Person
680 Posts
I never thought it would be detonation. Some have put an after market muffler on various brand of bikes and they can cause a lot of carbon creating a small backfire.
Also if people use premium in something designed for regular it can also cause carbon buildup due to the slower burn of premium.
It doesn't apply here but it was worth a shot.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
172 Posts
Some have put an after market muffler on various brand of bikes and they can cause a lot of carbon creating a small backfire.
To muddy the waters even further, I added a Remus 8 slip on and the pop doesn't occur as often as when I had the stock exhaust.

Reactions: dasherpr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my 1250 new and didn’t the have pop ( or that I could notice) I had full Remus system fitted after 1500miles. (de-cat with no exhaust valve plus Blackhawk end can) Remap was done. Pop crazy loud and as all say happens from 4000rpm. So can definitely confirm it not the exhaust valve as mine doesn’t have one...If I roll on the gas very slowly no pop but as soon as I open normally or quickly the pop appears. very annoying as right at the cruising speed - any acceleration required from there and bang! Bike currently at w/shop to see if putting standard can back will make a difference or reduce to non annoying levels?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bought my 1250 new and didn’t the have pop ( or that I could notice) I had full Remus system fitted after 1500miles. (de-cat with no exhaust valve plus Blackhawk end can) Remap was done. Pop crazy loud and as all say happens from 4000rpm. So can definitely confirm it not the exhaust valve as mine doesn’t have one...If I roll on the gas very slowly no pop but as soon as I open normally or quickly the pop appears. very annoying as right at the cruising speed - any acceleration required from there and bang! Bike currently at w/shop to see if putting standard can back will make a difference or reduce to non annoying levels?
Great info, keep us posted on what the shop says.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you watch this clip
you will notice a consistent 'pop' at just over 4000 rpm when he is accelerating.
I presume it is when the shift cam is doing its thing.
Can not recall hearing such a pop from my bike but it rarely sees 4000 rpm + as there is so much torque available (and such stupid low speed limits) there is no need to rev the engine much. Saves the rear tyre tread too :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I to have the exact same issue. I just picked up a new 2020 R1250 GS Adventure built in December of 1999.

My bike has 550 miles on it and it too has the popping sound at 4000 RPM when shifting from 1st to second and 2nd to 3rd. At times when when bike makes the popping should the bike losses power for a few seconds and then the power kicks right back in. Very strange. I will be bring my bike in for its first oil change and checkup next week. I will definitely be asking BMW about the issue.

-RW

I am just on a 4 day trip and have been paying close attention to the pop. I am convinced now it is the shiftcam causing it. Occurs right at 4000-4200 rpm when slightly opening the throttle. What's really annoying is that that is exactly where I cruise at in 6th gear most of the time, Every time I open the throttle slightly there is a pop. Open it quicker and there is a slightly louder pop. Very annoying. Oh, I posted earlier I thought it might be the butterfly valve in the muffler, - I disconnected it for a few hours and it made no difference, so it's not that. I am taking my bike in tomorrow. See what they say.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I now have 11,000+ on my 1250GS and, while I heard the pop when I first got the motorcycle, I no longer do. As I was sitting here typing this post, I was wondering to myself and now to to y’all, as they say in my new neighborhood in NC, whether the pop is gone, having disappeared with miles ridden, or whether it is so much a part of the riding experience of this great motorcycle that my brain no longer pays attention to it enough for hearing it to register in my consciousness.
Some on this thread have said that they hear the pop and it annoys them when they pay close attention to it. I never did- either say it annoys me or pay close attention to it. Now I don’t pay any attention to it at all. So I have to wonder: is it because there is nothing any longer to pay attention to? Next time I ride-which will be on my daily commute in about four hours-I will force myself to pay attention to it and see if the pop is still there. Hopefully, it won’t annoy me if I hear it. I’ve got too many other things going on around me that annoy me to add another! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, r1250 here with full akra. Yes the pop is there and very annoying. I hope it’s not the shift cam as then we have no choice but to tolerate it. I noticed once it pops as long as keep the throttle open, it will not pop until I close the throttle. In USA we have charcoal canisters so I will find out how to remove that and see if that is it. Please keep updating on what the dealers say

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also please note the noise we are focusing on is not while shifting. If you close the throttle and open, at 4K rpm it will pop. It is normal to pop while shifting as the timing is killed for a split sec. I think the stock can masks the pop but we with full exhausts hear it loud and clear

·
Registered
169 Posts
So, if I have this right, you altered your motorcycle’s exhaust and, in the process, made it illegal and environmentally unfriendly in order to make it louder (as performance increases are minimal and unavailable under most riding conditions) and you are now annoyed at the noise? Do I have this right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, if I have this right, you altered your motorcycle’s exhaust and, in the process, made it illegal and environmentally unfriendly in order to make it louder (as performance increases are minimal and unavailable under most riding conditions) and you are now annoyed at the noise? Do I have this right?
You dont have a lot of friends? Maybe mommy daddy issues? If you dont like the topic and have nothing to contribute just skip it. Move on. The green peace has a nice forum where you can bitch about motorcycle exhaust and environmental impact. Oh and akrapovic is street legal btw.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You dont have a lot of friends? Maybe mommy daddy issues? If you dont like the topic and have nothing to contribute just skip it. Move on. The green peace has a nice forum where you can bitch about motorcycle exhaust and environmental impact. Oh and akrapovic is street legal btw.
Akrapovic cans are street legal. Removing full headers minus the cat is not. Not to mention doing it on a GS is silly to begin with. And whose the snowflake here- annoyed at a single little pop on a magnificent motorcycle. Laughable. If you tried riding that bike to the point at which the “full acra” as you call it would matter, the single little pop on acceleration would be the last thing you would be paying attention to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Akrapovic cans are street legal. Removing full headers minus the cat is not. Not to mention doing it on a GS is silly to begin with. And whose the snowflake here- annoyed at a single little pop on a magnificent motorcycle. Laughable. If you tried riding that bike to the point at which the “full acra” as you call it would matter, the single little pop on acceleration would be the last thing you would be paying attention to.
Dude all you do is make assumptions and keep sounding like an a-hole. Why people put exhausts on is irrelevant for you, how much performance is gained is irrelevant for you. This discuss is about a single pop on acceleration and a few people are curious and discussing it. Obviously you have nothing to contribute so just stop and move on. There are plenty of other topics for you find ridiculous and express your concerns about other people choice.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dude all you do is make assumptions and keep sounding like an a-hole. Why people put exhausts on is irrelevant for you, how much performance is gained is irrelevant for you. This discuss is about a single pop on acceleration and a few people are curious and discussing it. Obviously you have nothing to contribute so just stop and move on. There are plenty of other topics for you find ridiculous and express your concerns about other people choice.
You obviously have reading comprehension issues. I have said on this thread at least twice that I am in fact interested in what causes the pop and appreciate the speculation on this thread on that topic. If you would learn to read, what you would discover is that I have taken issue only with the whining on this forum that the single pop is annoying to the point of distraction or the need to sue or sell sell the bike. All that type of whining on this public forum does is devalue our great machines. In your case, you had the pop before you “went full acra.” Was it a surprise to you that going “full acra” would result in the exhaust being louder? Wasn’t that what you were going for? Didn’t it occur to you that along with making the exhaust louder, the pop would also be amplified? Really, you got what you were going for and are now whining about it? Really? Now, don’t go getting me wrong again. I have no issue with you “going full acra” whatever you’re reasons might be. You like the look, you want the increased volume or tone, you want the minimal performance difference even if you never get to feel or use it, you just want to be able to say to others that you “went full acra,” whatever. I don’t care. I might get a chuckle at some of those reasons, but it’s your bike, your money, Do what you want. It’s all good-just, please, don’t come whining and complaining on this public forum when you get what you should have expected you would get. All that does other than make you look silly-something else that I don’t care about- is denigrate the 1250 GS platform and, in the process, diminish the resale value of our bikes. Prospective buyers have no way of knowing that the only thing annoying enough about the tiny little single pop on hard acceleration is the whining about how annoying the pop is!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You obviously have reading comprehension issues. I have said on this thread at least twice that I am in fact interested in what causes the pop and appreciate the speculation on this thread on that topic. If you would learn to read, what you would discover is that I have taken issue only with the whining on this forum that the single pop is annoying to the point of distraction or the need to sue or sell sell the bike. All that type of whining on this public forum does is devalue our great machines. In your case, you had the pop before you “went full acra.” Was it a surprise to you that going “full acra” would result in the exhaust being louder? Wasn’t that what you were going for? Didn’t it occur to you that along with making the exhaust louder, the pop would also be amplified? Really, you got what you were going for and are now whining about it? Really? Now, don’t go getting me wrong again. I have no issue with you “going full acra” whatever you’re reasons might be. You like the look, you want the increased volume or tone, you want the minimal performance difference even if you never get to feel or use it, you just want to be able to say to others that you “went full acra,” whatever. I don’t care. I might get a chuckle at some of those reasons, but it’s your bike, your money, Do what you want. It’s all good-just, please, don’t come whining and complaining on this public forum when you get what you should have expected you would get. All that does other than make you look silly-something else that I don’t care about- is denigrate the 1250 GS platform and, in the process, diminish the resale value of our bikes. Prospective buyers have no way of knowing that the only thing annoying enough about the tiny little single pop on hard acceleration is the whining about how annoying the pop is!
ignored! Way too much to read for something with no substance.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts