R1200GS Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
ignored! Way too much to read for something with no substance.
Way too much to read, you say. Then you say what I wrote has no substance. So, it seems, you either read it but couldn’t understand it-not surprising given your obvious lack of reading comprehensive skills as I pointed out in my last post- or you are a liar. You read it and have no legitimate reasonable response. In either case, I won’t waste anymore time on you. Enjoy your “full acra” you might also want to pick up some ear protection so you won’t hear the pop that annoys you so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Way too much to read, you say. Then you say what I wrote has no substance. So, it seems, you either read it but couldn’t understand it-not surprising given your obvious lack of reading comprehensive skills as I pointed out in my last post- or you are a liar. You read it and have no legitimate reasonable response. In either case, I won’t waste anymore time on you. Enjoy your “full acra” you might also want to pick up some ear protection so you won’t hear the pop that annoys you so.
Oh my god. I’m not getting into this pissing contest with you. Go away. Please. We are having a discussion and you are being a pest. These forums are not meant for 2 people to clog the conversation by their hurt egos. This is a topic discussion where everyone contributes an opinion about the topic presented. The topic, again, is a single pop on acceleration. If you have nothing to say about that, stop, log out. Open google chrome, explorer, search “golf” or “bingo” or “bird watching” and live in peace. Take care

·
Registered
104 Posts
The literature says the cam shifts based on load, not RPM, so gently accelerating through 5000 might not trigger a shift but whacking it open at 4000 would? Instead of the cam, some kind of interaction between fueling and the operation of the exhaust valve sounds plausible to me.

Whatever, I'm going to call it "character" and learn to love it.

·
JJames
4 Posts
R1250 GSA .12000 kms .
When I had the stock exhaust for the first 3000kms There was no noise whatsoever under hard acceleration .I ride with aluminum /rubber ear plugs and have a full face Shoei Helmet. I now have an Akrapovic full titanium system with the exhaust valve but no catalytic converter and consequently experience the aforementioned pop. I always run 98 octane premium petrol.From the outset may I say the pop is more about a feel than a noise per se, There is ,under very hard acceleration, a discernible step , a split second pop at about 4000RPM.It does not detract from power delivery and does not occur during more sedate acceleration. The fueling and the smoothness of this bike at road/commute/lower speeds is absolutely flawless- a pure delight . I was compelled to write merely to take comfort in the fact that I am not alone and I don't need to bypass my exhaust flapper valve ( which I was convinced must be the culprit) I now know that with so many common experiences this is no more than an engine characteristic and is to be duly incorporated into the riding experience. I would prefer that it wasn't there but given that it's my only complaint about this brilliant bike then I'm doing ok.
To digress ,I understand why people prefer OEM exhausts -that is their choice. Performance and weight savings can never fully justify the expense of the aftermarket systems. - Notwithstanding, I am very particular about the feel and sound of my bike adding to the overall riding experience and have without exception always opted for aftermarket systems. I felt a kindred spirit with "Johneracer" who copped a barrage of judgment for daring to mention his "full akra" system... and it was a legal one at that! Indeed it was his setup that was closest to mine for a relevant comparison.
Although my aftermarket system, "for off-road and racing use only," seemed to be the sole cause for me to ever notice the "pop," my finely made, perfectly adequate, OEM exhaust and muffler will continue to exist under my house in a cardboard box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
As the thread starter, I never meant for this to be a complaint, it was just a curiousity. After many thousands of miles, the pop still is there, and yes, it is more related to load rather than a fixed rpm range. Meaning if you whack the throttle open you're much more likely to hear the pop. No stuttering, no hesitation in the power delivery, nothing other than a weird pop, which is all I asked about. It seems to happen with aftermarket systems and OEM, and so it probably isn't related to the exhaust plumbing or emissions, but rather the Shift Cam. Fine. I'm with Rider2 in that it's part of the bike's character. Does not affect the experience in any other way, and one gets used to it.
BTW, this is my fourth GS bike, and by far the best in the line since my first (R1200GS in 2005). Power, handling, everything is clearly way more refined. However, after owning and racing two S1000RRs, I just cannot get too excited about riding this one. I tried taking it offroad with a group of buddies with big ADV bikes, and I didn't enjoy the experience. The bike is plenty capable, but I guess I'm no longer cut out for schlepping a two-ton cow through enduro trails, worrying about the costs involved in dropping her on the rocks. It's not her, it's me. On the road she's amazingly capable but... a little boring. I'll admit I'm casting serious sideway glances at the newly refreshed S1000XR... with the 2021 M Sport color scheme. Who knows. The ol' cow can be very endearing, too. She has so many great traits.
Looks like the Forum finally deems me worthy of posting pics, so here you all are. This was yesterday riding in the mountain roads of my adopted island home of Puerto Rico. Truly a motorcycle paradise for riders of all preferences (except our last road race track closed down 2 years ago due to the economy). Hundreds and hundreds of miles of mountain roads, enduro trails, mountains and beaches galore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree. My 2019 started doing it maybe around 3k.i thought it had something to do with the fact I had really started to open the bike up at some point and ever since, noticed the popping.

I'm fortunate, I guess, in that it really doesn't bother me at all 5k mi. later. It's barely noticeable to me now.

I can save you the trip. They're going to say: “They all do it” and pretty much, they will be right. They may also say that “It’s normal.” They say that quite often even when whatever it is that an owner is complaining about isn’t normal. Either way, they aren’t going to make the pop go away. So my suggestion for you is for you to stop paying close attention to the pop, get some ear protection so you won’t hear it and so your hearing will be saved for things that you may want to hear and go out and ride your bike. You will find that it’s a pretty fine ride. However, if you continue to find that the little single pop on hard acceleration is “really annoying,” it may be that the r1250GS isn’t the bike for you. Maybe, you should sell it and get a Zero or a Harley Live Wire, I’m pretty sure that you won’t hear a pop from the engines on either of those bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Running perfectly"

Shop mechanics of all makes, and types of vehicle, are the last to ever admit something isn't right, unless it's plainly broken. I am the OP on this thread, yet it's never bothered me; I was just curious as to what it may be. Seems to be the VTEC, VVT, whatever the variable valve timing is called. It's become a game now to see when I can trigger the pop, and at what revs.
As the thread starter, I never meant for this to be a complaint, it was just a curiousity. After many thousands of miles, the pop still is there, and yes, it is more related to load rather than a fixed rpm range. Meaning if you whack the throttle open you're much more likely to hear the pop. No stuttering, no hesitation in the power delivery, nothing other than a weird pop, which is all I asked about. It seems to happen with aftermarket systems and OEM, and so it probably isn't related to the exhaust plumbing or emissions, but rather the Shift Cam. Fine. I'm with Rider2 in that it's part of the bike's character. Does not affect the experience in any other way, and one gets used to it.
BTW, this is my fourth GS bike, and by far the best in the line since my first (R1200GS in 2005). Power, handling, everything is clearly way more refined. However, after owning and racing two S1000RRs, I just cannot get too excited about riding this one. I tried taking it offroad with a group of buddies with big ADV bikes, and I didn't enjoy the experience. The bike is plenty capable, but I guess I'm no longer cut out for schlepping a two-ton cow through enduro trails, worrying about the costs involved in dropping her on the rocks. It's not her, it's me. On the road she's amazingly capable but... a little boring. I'll admit I'm casting serious sideway glances at the newly refreshed S1000XR... with the 2021 M Sport color scheme. Who knows. The ol' cow can be very endearing, too. She has so many great traits.
Looks like the Forum finally deems me worthy of posting pics, so here you all are. This was yesterday riding in the mountain roads of my adopted island home of Puerto Rico. Truly a motorcycle paradise for riders of all preferences (except our last road race track closed down 2 years ago due to the economy). Hundreds and hundreds of miles of mountain roads, enduro trails, mountains and beaches galore. View attachment 27762
Thank you for the post!
I purchased a use 2020 1250GSA from the dealership in Tucson, it had 2000 miles on it and is in pristine condition. Inoticed the pop on my ride home to Flagstaff, at first I though I left the luggage lid open. I think is related to the cam shift. I run a stock exhaust and high octane fuel always. Honestly I notice it a lot less after riding a few thousand miles it. I was relieved to read this blog.
It has not stopped me from falling in love with this machine. what a riding experience! my last motorcycle was the 800GSA and this comes close to the off road experience I enjoyed with that bike, great low end torque. we have a million miles of forest service roads where I live and I intend on riding them all :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thank you for the post!
I purchased a use 2020 1250GSA from the dealership in Tucson, it had 2000 miles on it and is in pristine condition. Inoticed the pop on my ride home to Flagstaff, at first I though I left the luggage lid open. I think is related to the cam shift. I run a stock exhaust and high octane fuel always. Honestly I notice it a lot less after riding a few thousand miles it. I was relieved to read this blog.
It has not stopped me from falling in love with this machine. what a riding experience! my last motorcycle was the 800GSA and this comes close to the off road experience I enjoyed with that bike, great low end torque. we have a million miles of forest service roads where I live and I intend on riding them all :)
Yeah, after a few thousand miles, I still have the pop and now that I know it's just a thing this model does, I'm fully ok with it.
Tucson... I remember a couple of business trips there in the past. When the time came for all to play golf (I don't play golf - never will), I used to take my rental car all the way up to Mt. Lemmon and back, just wishing I had a motorcycle. Looks like some great riding around there, both on and off pavement. Enjoy your new cow!

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
16 Posts
I wonder what ever happened with the guy in Post #4 that was going to demand BMW replace his bike? Things that make you go hmmmph.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts