R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a turkey vulture flying across the highway at low altitude strike my bike just left of center, causing the left radiator to spew its fluid. The bird also cracked the front fender and took out some body panels on the left side. I had installed the BMW radiator guards, but these guards did nothing to prevent any damage since the bird was quite heavy, estimated at 10 lbs. The damage is initially estimated at $1500 in parts alone. I realize this is an unusual situation, but I'm thinking of mounting some sort of protection to prevent large objects from entering the radiator area, possibly attached to crash bars. I don't have the crash bars yet, but I have ordered the Altrider lower crash bar set, which are in development but expected to ship by the end of June. I was going to add the Altrider upper crash bars later once these are developed. Checking to see if anyone has a solution for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! That’s quite a bit of damage.

I would consider that a freak accident. Several years ago I was riding along enjoying the scenery when I was struck by a bird between my head & left shoulder. Never found out what it was but it felt like someone served a tennis ball right at me.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't think that's a turkey vulture, but that's beside the point. That's a rare occurrence I would think. I've hit two turkeys and luckily no permanent damage. One ran straight into my camera.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hope you were at least able to cook the darned bird later on... a rather expensive dish but made sweeter by revenge... >:)

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
Wow! That’s quite a bit of damage.

I would consider that a freak accident. Several years ago I was riding along enjoying the scenery when I was struck by a bird between my head & left shoulder. Never found out what it was but it felt like someone served a tennis ball right at me.
I've had a couple bird encounters in my 40+ years of riding. They are rather rare. First time, a buzzard was eating some dead thing in the road, saw us coming, took off... and then circled back to catch the thermal. POW! right in the middle of my windshield. Blood and guts and feathers everywhere (and boy, do those things smell bad--although, given what they eat, that's not a surprise). Fortunately, this was on my Harley FXRT, whose windshield was curved like Hoover Dam and pretty much just shrugged off the impact. At the next rally, I had somebody paint a circle-and-slash "Buzzard Buster" logo on the windshield (think Ghostbusters).

Several years later I was riding my unfaired Super Glide and got a small bird smack in the chest. Ow! When I got home I found the bird was neatly wedged between frame and exhaust pipe. It was a little robin. I almost felt bad about hitting it, till a week later when something went splat on my jacket sleeve while I was riding. Turned out to be... right, bird poop. Evidently they keep score.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Any bird at speed can do damage! I've hit black birds in the chest at 80 mph plus and felt like I'd been punched!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts