R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW has just made one step forward in protecting our drive shafts. I was thinking of making the same modification myself, after the end of the warranty period.
This way I will let them do it as my bike is certainly candidate for the modification (January 2021).

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it need to be open from time to time to drain the water or it has one-way valve?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine is a March 2022 production date. Here is a picture.
Carl, the gentleman who published the YouTube video, describes this modification as:
“drilling a small 6 or 8mm hole in the lower part of the drive shaft outer housing and installing a pressure / moisture relief valve.”
By looking closely at the picture posted by MFA it looks like it is just a simple rubber plug, and not a valve.
Therefore, someone will need to pull the rubber plug to drain any eventual moisture trapped inside the drive shaft outer housing. I guess this trapped moisture is something that can happen after having crossed a ford, pressure washed the bike, or driven under heavy rain. The point I would like to make is that this device called a “valve” will not drain the moisture by itself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Carl, the gentleman who published the YouTube video, describes this modification as:
“drilling a small 6 or 8mm hole in the lower part of the drive shaft outer housing and installing a pressure / moisture relief valve.”
By looking closely at the picture posted by MFA it looks like it is just a simple rubber plug, and not a valve.
Therefore, someone will need to pull the rubber plug to drain any eventual moisture trapped inside the drive shaft outer housing. I guess this trapped moisture is something that can happen after having crossed a ford, pressure washed the bike, or driven under heavy rain. The point I would like to make is that this device called a “valve” will not drain the moisture by itself.
Yes. Seems that cannot do it by itself.

·
Registered
1988 R100 RT, 2018 R1200 GS
71 Posts
It looks like one of those rubber valves which could be opened by squeezing the long ends together. Kind of a low pressure one-way valve. Since the LC R1200 GS's have the same swing arm, I wonder if this applies to those bikes as well.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
239 Posts
Reactions: Krons

·
Registered
33 Posts
Using the UK site to check my VIN (Recall Lookup), it's showing that there's an "open technical enhancement" for my 2018 GSA.

My dilemma will be deciding whether or not to let the so-called "experts" at my local dealer do something like this to my bike or just keep checking/lubing it myself, as I have. Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dilemma will be deciding whether or not to let the so-called "experts" at my local dealer do something like this to my bike or just keep checking/lubing it myself, as I have.
I will let them do it on my bike but I will still open it up once a year and check and relube everything. You don't have a way of knowing if there was a water ingress unless you squeeze the valve. Checking and relubing is a good thing but I can´t stand the idea of possibly having water laying on the bottom of the housing for a long time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So that's simply a small duckbill valve. You might need to gently squeeze it to release the water from the assembly. It may not do it automatically. It should prevent ingress through the valve, but since water could get in elsewhere it's simply a point of exit for anything that gets in. Installing it isn't going to change anything, you'd still need to release the water and periodically check and lube the splines.

I would note it could pop out or be pulled out. So it's another thing to check periodically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In ordwr to open it, you need to remove it? Or it has a hole between lips?
It looks to me like a "flapper" valve. As water builds up on the inside the weight of it will allow the flappers to open enough for it to drip out. When no moisture is present it will stay closed preventing water from entering. This is very similar to a drain tube on a car A/C system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Talked to my dealer today and the service manager called me back after reading the Technical Enhancement. He is ordering me a new drive shaft as he said the message says if more than 36,000 miles (72,000 on mine) replace the shaft.

·
Registered
2018 R1200GS Rallye
23 Posts
Talked to my dealer today and the service manager called me back after reading the Technical Enhancement. He is ordering me a new drive shaft as he said the message says if more than 36,000 miles (72,000 on mine) replace the shaft.
Is the dealer going to cover the cost of the shaft & labor??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Even if the shaft is ok, they will replace it because of high mileage?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts