R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
I was on my local dealer website and saw they have one. Personally not for me as a cruiser for me would need forward controls...I have a GS and DR with mid controls.
:)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. Didnt realize we had an R1800 Forum.
Not for me either Krons.
I guess if I had "lots of extra" money laying around I might use it for Sunday rides to get ice cream. 😁

·
2019 R1250 GSA
161 Posts
I like the look and have always liked bikes with big motors. Maybe that is why I once owned a 110" Harley or the K1600 BMW. I may seriously buy a used R1800.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really struggle to understand who wold buy a R1800 other than the usual rich boys looking for the latest toy.
Certainly here in Europe the cruiser market is pretty flat and with a looming covid recession around the corner the money will not be there for such playthings.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has neither the looks nor performance to tempt me away from my '97 Valkyrie. Love my R1200GS, but BMW 'cruisers' haven't ever really captured the imagination of the cruiser crowd (R1200C cough). This is a huge step up from that, and won't make a UBOAT (Ugliest Bike Of All Time) list like that one occasionally did, but I doubt many folks will buy one.

Reactions: Krons

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
I really struggle to understand who wold buy a R1800 other than the usual rich boys looking for the latest toy.
Certainly here in Europe the cruiser market is pretty flat and with a looming covid recession around the corner the money will not be there for such playthings.
Not uncommon here in US to see guys with a GS and a Harley (like @Mark_M ). My guess is that is their best shot.

But the Harley owner demographic is aging here so will be interesting to see how a 20,000 $USD cruiser with no fairing or hard bags sells.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I picked my R18 Pre-Order yesterday at BMW Ventura County. It's more comfortable than I thought it would be. The torque is astounding and it handles much better than my Indian did. I just need a low windscreen and it'll be my day runner. My 1250 GSA will be my multi day sport tourer.
R18_first_home_sm.jpg

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
Just watched what looked to be a pretty balanced review by Zach from Revilla here...Zach is a BMW fan but gives the pluses and minuses.

@enzo5000 I'd be curious how yours does with the peg scraping...maybe fixable with some new parts or adjustments?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I personally do not like retro bikes. If I want a bike with classic lines I'll buy a classic. I get it for some you get the benefit of modern conveniences and the old look, kind of.

The 1800 does nothing for me but in all fairness there has not been a new bike from any manufacturer in years that has stirred my soul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw one at the local dealer a couple weeks ago. Impressed with the look in person, and heard a lot of positive comments from test riders. I'm not a cruiser guy, but like the machine. Definitely not in R1200C world anymore....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts