R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 GS....

I tried loosening the lock nut and unthreaded the actuating rod about as much as it will go but it didn't do much really.

What are my options? I do not see any aftermarket options other than the touratech pedal which is OOS everywhere.

2015 R 1200 GS :: 2011 DRZ400S

·
Registered
758 Posts
Don't do it!

Do not mess with the stock rear brake height setting! It's set at the factory and isn't adjustable. I paid the price of messing with it and locked up the rear brake and fried the rotor and brake pads. If you want to change the height, get an aftermarket brake lever.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ever thought that people have different riding styles or do different types of riding?
Jeeze, be nice now...life it too short for angst, mate.

If you mean off road, well then, yes, you would use the rear brake differently...but for 99% of GS riding you can get away with the front only, as the brakes are linked....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jeeze, be nice now...life it too short for angst, mate..
Your GS riding might be 99% on road, so tell people how you ride and don't assume what people do or should do.
Many people trail brake into a corner, might it be habit or because they used to ride sports bikes.
If one wants a different brake pedal, help them find one but don't tell them they don't need it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not mess with the stock rear brake height setting! It's set at the factory and isn't adjustable. I paid the price of messing with it and locked up the rear brake and fried the rotor and brake pads. If you want to change the height, get an aftermarket brake lever.
Shit... I guess I better put it back to how it was. I haven't ridden it yet.

What exactly happened?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The front/rear brike balance is not optimal as far as I know. You get better stopping distance if you use the rear brake manually than if you rely solely on the linkeage I believe.

Also, I'm a firm believer of keeping good habits, i.e. using the rear, it's good practice. Especially if you have other older bikes that don't have linked brakes.

As for the initial question, I agree sith bob, DON'T DO IT. I've heard various stories of people crashing because of that : brakes overheat, seize, and away you go.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Heats up and sizes

Shit... I guess I better put it back to how it was. I haven't ridden it yet.

What exactly happened?

Because the brakes are linked the front brake actuated the rear brake at a an unknown percentage and eventually heats up the rear brake even though even though I don't use the rear brake on the road. My rear brake slowly started dragging till I noticed the bike slowing off throttle more than normal. Brake pads were gone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really only have to use it when slow speed maneuvering....
That's BS. I ride off road A LOT.

I also ride a wide variety of motorcycles so I don't relearn how to operate every motorcycle uniquely. Some have all sorts of electronics and some don't.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BMW missed the boat by not providing any adjustment to the brake pedal and you sure don't want to mess with it since the blow-by adjustment is just 1mm.

There are some lazy riders that rarely use the rear brake believing (wrongly) that the linked brake system does it all for them with just the squeeze of the front brake lever.

I bought an adjustable rear brake pedal and shift lever made by Gilles Tooling which is top notch gear, they come out of Europe but I had them in about a week.
https://calsport.co.uk/bmw-r-1200-gs-lc-13-2014/gilles-controls/gilles-adjustable-footrests/rct-bm05-sb-kit-t

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Do they fold in if you drop the bike? Or do you feel that feature is overrated?
They do not fold but neither does the factory, I personally have not folded up a brake pedal but I have had a couple get pushed inward and was able to just bend them back in place and continue on.
But with lower engine crash bars this should not be much of an issue on a GS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your GS riding might be 99% on road, so tell people how you ride and don't assume what people do or should do.
Many people trail brake into a corner, might it be habit or because they used to ride sports bikes.
If one wants a different brake pedal, help them find one but don't tell them they don't need it.

I ride on the road.

I never trail brake, despite owing sport bikes and doing lots of trackdays.

My comments should be filtered through that prism....

As our US friends say, Your Mileage May Vary....

Post #2 is very useful re not adjusting the brake pedal.....

·
Survivor
682 Posts
I ride on the road.

I never trail brake, and never have, despite owing sport bikes and doing lots of trackdays.

My comments should be filtered through that prism....

As our US friends say, Your Mileage May Vary....

Post #2 is very useful re not adjusting the brake pedal.....
Remember Troppo, you are dealing with a population that is largely suffering from a long cold winter and lack of riding.

·
Registered
758 Posts
500K so far

BMW missed the boat by not providing any adjustment to the brake pedal and you sure don't want to mess with it since the blow-by adjustment is just 1mm.

There are some lazy riders that rarely use the rear brake believing (wrongly) that the linked brake system does it all for them with just the squeeze of the front brake lever.

I bought an adjustable rear brake pedal and shift lever made by Gilles Tooling which is top notch gear, they come out of Europe but I had them in about a week.
https://calsport.co.uk/bmw-r-1200-gs-lc-13-2014/gilles-controls/gilles-adjustable-footrests/rct-bm05-sb-kit-t
I'll use the rear brake on the dirt to assist turns and on my 1974 Norton Commando because the brakes suck. On the street with the GS the only time I use the rear brake is to see if it's time to bleed it again. My 2014 GS has about 60K miles so far ;)

This weekend's group ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put the threads back to approximately where I think they were previously set. Is there some exact spec I can adjust it to so that I can sleep at night?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I put the threads back to approximately where I think they were previously set. Is there some exact spec I can adjust it to so that I can sleep at night?

Keep and eye on it. I found no spec. Took me a couple times to get mine set right ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me ask you this... What am I looking for to know it's wrong?

I rode about 60 miles today after I set it back to where I thought it was originally. I thought I smelled burning (mildly) something but the bike didn't brake weird or anything.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts