R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find a review any that compares OPTION 1 (Pirelli Rally STR) and OPTION 2 (Continental TKC70 front and TKC70 Rocks rear). Which is better? I don't care about life. On my R1200GS, I do 90% on road and the occasional hard packed dirt. My requirement is good road handling and low road noise (Well a lot less than Karoo 3). Someone help me decide.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
Riding buddy just put TKC70 Rocks on his 2020 1250HP and really likes them, stick well on pavement. He primarily rides 80% pavement 20% gravel. Can't speak to the STRs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riding buddy just put TKC70 Rocks on his 2020 1250HP and really likes them, stick well on pavement. He primarily rides 80% pavement 20% gravel. Can't speak to the STRs.
Does he have TKC70 up front? What is road noise nose like front and rocks at the back? Is front stable on all road surfaces and around twisties?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Neither of these tires seem to fit well with your road focused requirements, it seems to me. Having said this my bike had the TKC70’s when I bought it and they are a pleasure to ride on road and off. The front wore out quicker, the rear is still going due to the center strip, albeit fairly squared by now.
I trust Continental to have grippy rubber in all conditions, at the cost of shorter lifetime compared to some other brands.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The Rocks tire is Continentals answer to the Dunlop Trailmax. I would think you would meet your requirements with the Rocks instead of the more knobby STR. My $.02.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
Does he have TKC70 up front? What is road noise nose like front and rocks at the back? Is front stable on all road surfaces and around twisties?
The Rocks version is only rear (to eliminate center the strip) so yes...standard TKC70 in front, Rocks out back.

Can't answer questions on noise/grip for front but the TKC70 has been out a long time so should be reviews out there. One item I did notice on the front is the tread depth seems much more shallow than other tires.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
I trust Continental to have grippy rubber in all conditions, at the cost of shorter lifetime compared to some other brands.
With the non-scientific thumbnail test I was surprised how soft the rubber was on the Rocks tire...assume that'll make it plenty grippy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neither of these tires seem to fit well with your road focused requirements, it seems to me. Having said this my bike had the TKC70’s when I bought it and they are a pleasure to ride on road and off. The front wore out quicker, the rear is still going due to the center strip, albeit fairly squared by now.
You are very helpful. Thank you. I was also considering Pirelli Trail II but thought too street orientated if I’m out riding with friends and they decide to do a bit off road I want to join. I’m on Metzeler Karoo 3 at the moment and would be fine with them if they were quiet. So I want something between Karoo3 and Pirelli Trail II. If you speak to your friend would appreciate the consensus between you two which way I should go. I’m not a crazy peg scraping road rider, but I want something quiet enough to commute on, grips well on the road and capable for the odd good weather off road trail. Maybe I’m looking for the impossible?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Rocks tire is Continentals answer to the Dunlop Trailmax. I would think you would meet your requirements with the Rocks instead of the more knobby STR. My $.02.
What front tyre to go with Rocks? TKC70? have you ridden with either the Cont combo or the Missions? No Mission rear stocks in Australia at the moment

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
What front tyre to go with Rocks? TKC70? have you ridden with either the Cont combo or the Missions? No Mission rear stocks in Australia at the moment
Trailmax Mission would likely go well with the Rocks rear. Similar design.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Never rode with either setup. I think a TKC 70 in front would work too. And I agree with Krons, a Dunlop Trailmax in front would go with the rocks well.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Might want to consider looking at Mitas EO-7+'s too. A great 60/40 tire that does well on road and off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are very helpful. Thank you. I was also considering Pirelli Trail II but thought too street orientated if I’m out riding with friends and they decide to do a bit off road I want to join. I’m on Metzeler Karoo 3 at the moment and would be fine with them if they were quiet. So I want something between Karoo3 and Pirelli Trail II. If you speak to your friend would appreciate the consensus between you two which way I should go. I’m not a crazy peg scraping road rider, but I want something quiet enough to commute on, grips well on the road and capable for the odd good weather off road trail. Maybe I’m looking for the impossible?
How about Anakee 3? Quiet going straight, slight vibration in turns on pavement. I have done a fair amount of muddy unmaintained “class 4 legal trails” (VT term) with a front Anakee 3 in the past few months. It doesn’t look very hardcore and it’s no TKC80 but reasonably capable for occasional offroad, from my limited experience. It’s probably considered 80-20 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about Anakee 3? Quiet going straight, slight vibration in turns on pavement. I have done a fair amount of muddy unmaintained “class 4 legal trails” (VT term) with a front Anakee 3 in the past few months. It doesn’t look very hardcore and it’s no TKC80 but reasonably capable for occasional offroad, from my limited experience. It’s probably considered 80-20 or thereabouts.
I am sure the stock tyres that came on my bike are ANAKEE III. I found them fine on the road but made a noise at a certain speed. Cant remember how fast though. I have them in the garage and can put them back on but want to try something different. Thanks for your comment

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
Check out the other threads on here for the Trailmax Mission tires. They're freakin' magical in how well they perform on and off-road for how quiet and vibration free they are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve read lots of reviews on mission. Just can’t get rear tyre in Australia until sometime in 2021

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this very helpful. I'm going with the STR's I plan to ride a bit more offroad than you do. They also have individual reviews of every tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found this very helpful. I'm going with the STR's I plan to ride a bit more offroad than you do. They also have individual reviews of every tire.

Thank you so much for that. If you have the STRs on, what is the noise like on-road (compared to Karoo 3 if you have ever had them).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you so much for that. If you have the STRs on, what is the noise like on-road (compared to Karoo 3 if you have ever had them).
I just ordered the STRs, I'll have them on sometime next week, will let you know. From what I've learned, they are pretty sticky, good in the rain, and other than mud and sand, great off road.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts