R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just ordered the STRs, I'll have them on sometime next week, will let you know. From what I've learned, they are pretty sticky, good in the rain, and other than mud and sand, great off road.
Agreed, they get great reviews all round. Just want to know how noisy they are between 60 and 90 kpH as that is where my Karoo 3 are like a plane taking off. What bike do you ride and what tyres do you currently have on? Look forward to your reply and also your first impression once you have them on next week. Much appreciated

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
2018 Rallye, Stock tires, Anakee 3's. I just bought it 3 weeks ago.
You will love the GS. I have 2017. The Anakees came with mine too and were quiet, but I do recall them having some whine at some speed. Please when you fit the STR, I would really like to know how noisy they are, esp compared to the Anakee 3 and esp at low speeds 60 to 90 kpH (i.e. 37-55 mph)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My last Beemer was a '92 K100RS. Which I rode the wheels off of, I've not had a bike in 5 years. Looking forward to seeing lots of MX! I live in Mexico City. I'll review the tires after I get some miles on them!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't seem to find a review any that compares OPTION 1 (Pirelli Rally STR) and OPTION 2 (Continental TKC70 front and TKC70 Rocks rear). Which is better? I don't care about life. On my R1200GS, I do 90% on road and the occasional hard packed dirt. My requirement is good road handling and low road noise (Well a lot less than Karoo 3). Someone help me decide.
Check out this video comparison. I think you will lean toward Dunlop Mission tires. I have them on my R1200GS and they work well everywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Check out this video comparison. I think you will lean toward Dunlop Mission tires. I have them on my R1200GS and they work well everywhere.
Yea, the DTM were my first choice when I saw all the reviews, including the one you sent. I cannot get the rear tyre though in Australia. No stock until 2021. However, I would be very interested in hearing from you the one thing that I am not clear on - What is the road noise like on tarmac (I think you call it pavement in USA).? I have Karoo3 and are so loud between 35 and 50 mph. I understand the DTM are not as quiet as road tyres, but I would love your opinion and feedback.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts