R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I have had numerous electronic issues on my 2018 GSA.

• traction control fault
  • TFT dropping either iPhone or headset connection during a ride
  • TFT not recognizing iPhone or headset on start up
  • one headset speaker not playing
  • entire left side switchgear not working
  • hard starting, engine spins but won’t catch. Releasing the starter button and pressing a second time the bike fires up

I think I’ve listed them all. Most of them are resolved by turning the bike off, waiting for the alarm system beep and then turning the bike back on.

I did add a HEX ezCan along with a Denali B6 taillight last fall. My thoughts are the HEX ezCan could be the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issues? Thoughts on the HEX?
thanks
Brian

·
Registered
77 Posts

• traction control fault
  • hard starting, engine spins but won’t catch. Releasing the starter button and pressing a second time the bike fires up
I think I’ve listed them all. Most of them are resolved by turning the bike off, waiting for the alarm system beep and then turning the bike back on.

I did add a HEX ezCan along with a Denali B6 taillight last fall. My thoughts are the HEX ezCan could be the issue.

thanks
Brian
Never had traction control fault issues, can't speak to them. Of course the bike has to be rolling for a few hundred yards for the bike to decide TC is up and running, but after that it should report healthy (i.e. light off).

I paired my Android to the TFT when I bought it last November, mostly to try the navigation. Pleasantly surprised to see the record of my route, handy to see mileage etc so I can plan maintenance, navigation did not impress me at all. Shortly afterward I put it up on a battery tender for the winter, when I fired it up in March it'd forgotten the phone. Overall I got so little real utility from the connection I never tried again, YMMV

Bad left switchgear isn't a real surprise, I had two replaced on a K1600 (also a right), and there were a lot of reports of failures especially early in what I'll call the "wonderwheel era". I thought it'd been resolved, but apparently only mostly rather than entirely. Maybe you can get it handled under warranty.

Haven't had the starting issue you mention on my 2020, but I had that exact issue show up when my 2016 had around 3000 miles IIRC. I talked to a few people who said it'd happened to them to but had gone away by itself. I never did anything, and one day when I had 8K or so on the bike I realized it hadn't happened for a while. For the next 140,000 miles I never experienced it again. I couldn't tell you when it stopped, it's kind of like having hiccups, you have them, then you realize you don't but can't say when the last one was.

On the 2016 I had a CANSmart, on the 2020 I have an EZCan. Basically the same device except CANSmart was designed to run two pair of 3-wire lights and earlier EZCans ran one set of two-wire lights. I think the feature sets have converged but they're still separate products.

I suppose it's possible that some glitch in the EZCan is propagating through the CANBUS to the engine control module (starting), ABS module (traction control fault), and TFT (Bluetooth issues). It seems like a real stretch to me but computers are mysterious. Switchgear is probably mechanical issues so definitely no effect there.

Reactions: Candubrain

·
Registered
3 Posts

• traction control fault

thanks
Brian
I have the cansmart no issues, I also have connection issues with head and tft not all the time here and there i think its how you setup everything and the sequence you set it up in. There is a guy that I know personally that hase video on how to setup everything and the sequence that it has to be done, Wheelspin productions or go to Pandora European Motorsports out of Chattanooga TN. Website i think he puts all of his productions on there, he works for them.

·
Super Awesom Person
615 Posts
Can't you just unplug the cansmart for a month or two just to see if you still have problems?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't you just unplug the cansmart for a month or two just to see if you still have problems?
[/QUOTE

I’ve considered doing this but I don’t want to give up the extra safety of the aux brake light. Might have to

thanks all for the thoughts
Brian

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to do a fault check using the 911, I don't expect to find any

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 2 months and 9,000+Kms of no issues, my left side switchgear stopped working again today after stopping for fuel. Turning the bike off and letting it sit for minute resets what ever software glitch is causing it.

I have double checked the connections, but they appear to be ok

Seems I'm alone in this issue as I haven't read about it by anyone else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts