R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings fellow motorcycle enthusiasts. It's time to replace the rear brake pads on my 2011 r1200GS. When I disassembled the calipers, the obnoxious little "clip?" circled in red below tumbled out. It was rusty, and my pad retainer pin was starting to show some wear, so I bought the rear brake mounting parts set to get replacements. The new clip thing seems identical to the old one.

I'm now reassembling, and neither the new clip nor the old one wants to sit properly. When I go to slide the break pads in, the clip falls out.

There's nothing useful in the owner's manual. ("Blah blah, have brake pads replace by someone who knows what they're doing, blah blah.") I can't seem to find the shop manual at the moment, but I don't recall having an issue with this thing before. Is there a trick to getting it to sit properly? Is it supposed to be loose?

Honestly, it's like one step above something I could make myself by bending a paper clip. And yet, my life depends on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
Best photo I can get of the poor picture in the Haynes manual.

20210609_055815.jpg

·
Survivor
792 Posts
Have you compared the new clip to the old? Perhaps you got the wrong part, and a small difference could result in a poor fit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I replace my front brake pads previous "service technican" was put spring plate in opposite direction (with rough power) but it works. As far as I remember spring plate have direction with arrow. If you upload the picture from "wrong moment" and misallignment of the parts may help us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best photo I can get of the poor picture in the Haynes manual.

View attachment 30044
Thanks so much for posting the picture! That's one of the places where I tried putting it. I do notice they have the calipers almost upside down? I half wonder if gravity is supposed to partially hold the clip in place until the pads and locked in with the pin? Seems shady though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you compared the new clip to the old? Perhaps you got the wrong part, and a small difference could result in a poor fit.
They look exactly the same, but the new part is less rusty. The old part doesn't seem to want to sit in place either.

When I replace my front brake pads previous "service technican" was put spring plate in opposite direction (with rough power) but it works. As far as I remember spring plate have direction with arrow. If you upload the picture from "wrong moment" and misallignment of the parts may help us.
Yep, the arrow is supposed to face toward the front of the bike. I made sure that was correct.

When I'm done with work I'll see if I can take some pictures.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
1,083 Posts
If you haven't, you maybe need to pull off the calipers and install with it upside down like the photo. Pretty easy to pull it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you haven't, you maybe need to pull off the calipers and install with it upside down like the photo. Pretty easy to pull it off.

I GOT IT TO WORK! The little pincers in the middle of the new one were just a little too close together. I bent them outward very, very slightly and now it fits snugly in its little cradle.

Unfortunately, one of my pistons is not extending so my next adventure will be disassembling the calipers, cleaning everything out and replacing the o-rings. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts