R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do my 12k service and my rear pads are worn enough to replace them.

Looking at EBC and brembo pads and I am sort of confused.

The EBC chart lists one pad, beemer boneyard and many other places list a different one.

Brembo has about 9 types that will fit. And then there is the OEM $105 pair (ouch)

To the mind hive

What have you used, what works I am a little concerned as to the friction coefficient as the brakes are linked and I don't want to upset the balance too much.

I am leaning towards the EBC FA209/2HH pads right now but the pad profile looks a little different then the brembo ones (I have not pulled them out of the bike yet).. not sure if it's correct or not. (This is the pad on EBCs chart)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12k on a set of back brakes? Mine lasted over 30k. I just put new BMW pads back in it.
I think I can push these another 5k if need be, but they are definitely worn.

This bike had the brembos retrofit on last year and they are fine. The rear is maybe 30% left. I rather just replace them as I have been know to ride spirited and rather error on the side of caution. And they are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
420 Posts
Since I purchased my GS (January 2021) I'm making a list of replacement parts, oils, greases etc., so I don't have to go to BMW dealer and spend tripple of the value. However, I still haven't found good part number for front (Hayes) and rear (Brembo) pads. When I say "good part number", I mean based on somebody's experience. For example, I found Brembo part number for rear pads but found no written review on their life and bite.
I alway first look on the BMW parts catalogue to see their price. I just hope I'll never need rear brake disk as the price is shocking.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
420 Posts
Yes they are.. like everything else from the dealer.. look at their price for dif oil

I already looked and all of their prices are shocking. I have one more scheduled service at the dealer (2 years or 12.000 miles) and when bikes get 3 years old is when warranty expires so I'll do my own servicing keeping receipts for all the parts.
Ah, and I like Motul more then BMW tagged oil, for the price and after many years of experience with that oil. After the warranty, I'm paying for BMW parts only when I have to.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
420 Posts
So you made me look and they do seem expensive. But, not as expensive as the front ones--and you need two of those.
Yes, I've looked at them too. I was pointing out the rear disk just because from what I read here, it looks like the rear pads and disk ware faster.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am getting ready to do my 12k service and my rear pads are worn enough to replace them.

The EBC chart lists one pad, beemer boneyard and many other places list a different one.

Brembo has about 9 types that will fit. And then there is the OEM $105 pair (ouch)

To the mind hive

What have you used, what works I am a little concerned as to the friction coefficient as the brakes are linked and I don't want to upset the balance too much.

I am leaning towards the EBC FA209/2HH pads right now but the pad profile looks a little different then the brembo ones (I have not pulled them out of the bike yet).. not sure if it's correct or not. (This is the pad on EBCs chart)

·
Registered
40 Posts

To the mind hive

I've used EBC for years on various motos and their charts have been on target.

·
Registered
3 Posts

To the mind hive

The FA209/2HH are fine for that application. And yes rear will wear considerably faster than front. The rotor as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts