R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '15 GS. I am recovering from an Achilles injury on my right leg and the amount of travel on the rear brake pedal requires a longer actuation distance before it engages.

I have bled the brakes and the condition remains. Apparently, there is a very limited travel adjustment available with brake pedal and, if it were 'over' adjusted the problems can be significant.

I use trail braking quite extensively on the twisty roads here so this problem need a solution. I would appreciate hearing if others have experienced this situation and what solutions you have come up with.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There are a couple things that can be done to help, as you know don't attempt to adjust the pedal it is set at 1mm blow-bye from the factory and that is it.

One way to possibly reduce the length the travel if to bleed the brakes while the caliper pistons are fully retracted and held fully open (blocked), the calipers have a tendency to hold a small amount of air and are impossible to bleed out unless held open.

Another option is an adjustable brake lever, I use a Gilles Tooling lever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with Jetspeed, an adjustable bolt on lever would be your best best short of running a master from your left bar to use instead of the foot like I did for years after my leg injury.

I currently have the exact opposite issue. Most foot brake levers are too high for me due to still somewhat limited bend in my right ankle. The R1200gs is actually perfect for me but most bike I need to lower it a drop or actively hold my foot up off the lever which gets tiring.

There are a couple things that can be done to help, as you know don't attempt to adjust the pedal it is set at 1mm blow-bye from the factory and that is it.

One way to possibly reduce the length the travel if to bleed the brakes while the caliper pistons are fully retracted and held fully open (blocked), the calipers have a tendency to hold a small amount of air and are impossible to bleed out unless held open.

Another option is an adjustable brake lever, I use a Gilles Tooling lever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear Brake Pedal

Thanks guys.

Has anyone successfully mounted a GSA pedal on a GS? The GSA pedal has second pedal for added height. If so, where did you source it?

Another thought is to attach something to the top pf the brake pedal to make it higher? Anyone done that?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks guys.

Has anyone successfully mounted a GSA pedal on a GS? The GSA pedal has second pedal for added height. If so, where did you source it?

Another thought is to attach something to the top pf the brake pedal to make it higher? Anyone done that?
Doesnt make a world of a difference with the kind of pedal your injury needs!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can imagine that a foot would get tired being held above the brake pedal all of the time until needed. I keep my right foot off to the (right) side of the pedal until I anticipate braking, then raise it and move it over to the top of the pedal. Kind of like with an automobile. Perhaps I don't understand the proper procedure?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very rare I use rear brake, because they are linked. Even in my old model of bike. May be only one place, that I use it, until work with remote control of garage. In front of garage there is a little slope and I hold with rear brake. Another case is in emergency stopping with both of them.
Pedal is adjustable and you may try to set little bit up or down, for your maximum convenience in this case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me having my finger and foot covering brakes means "think about braking, then brake in one movement". Not Think/ Move/ Then Brake. Something I started thinking about and doing almost 20 years ago and I always do it. I believe it takes an extra movement out of the braking process so it must be more efficeint.
Personal preference of course but I am always ready to stop.

I can imagine that a foot would get tired being held above the brake pedal all of the time until needed. I keep my right foot off to the (right) side of the pedal until I anticipate braking, then raise it and move it over to the top of the pedal. Kind of like with an automobile. Perhaps I don't understand the proper procedure?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very rare I use rear brake, because they are linked. Even in my old model of bike. May be only one place, that I use it, until work with remote control of garage. In front of garage there is a little slope and I hold with rear brake. Another case is in emergency stopping with both of them.
Pedal is adjustable and you may try to set little bit up or down, for your maximum convenience in this case.
Is rear break adjustable??.ı did not know this.Is there any thread or video which shows how to do it.I want to make it higher a little but, can not:(

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Is rear break adjustable??.ı did not know this.Is there any thread or video which shows how to do it.I want to make it higher a little but, can not:(
You can not raise the brake pedal without modifying either the pedal or the frame. The pedal has a raised boss that acts as a hard stop when it hits the frame.

If modifications are your thing it would probably be safest to modify the foot pad of the pedal. Either bolt or weld on a platform to raise the height. Or buy after market foot pegs that can be lowered. That was my solution.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@ harun: Yes I talk about this triangle upper part of the pedal, when you bend it in right side (about 30degrees for example) you will touch pedal soon then usual, and this lead to soon activation of rear brake, if you want to use it.

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You are not copying the complete link. Clicking on the provided link returns revzilla search results for "...00gs-2013-2018".

Did you mean this item?

To the OP. BMW has an optional lever, part number 35 21 8 529 841 "Footbrake lever, adjustable" which may do what you want. It used be be called the Enduro Brake Pedal. Here is my install ==> https://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0804-brake-pedal/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts