R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
As previously stated, really need to know more about where and how you ride....

I ride 50/50. The Karoo 3s are my "go to" tire. They work equally well in the dirt and on pavement. Dirt-wise they handle everything I've thrown at them, hard-packed, loose, rocks, sand, and even mud. On the pavement there are lots of twisty roads where I live and on the way to the dirt and the grip is excellent. On my Tiger XCx I was easily dragging pegs in the twisties. They are also excellent in the rain.

On the "Con" side; They don't last a long time. I get about 3500-4000 miles out of them. Compare this to Mitas E07 Dakars where I was getting like 7k+. They also take about 100 miles or so to really break-in and become completely confidence inspiring. While initially they do work well, the feedback isn't as good initially. But they do break-in.

Overall I really like them and have no reason to try anything else at this time. Again, though I ride 50/50. If I rode more street, I'd use something else do to the short life-span of the tire.

Heard the Metz Karoo are great
your input please.
Thank you

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nothing wrong with the OEM tires!

I was at the Toronto Motorcycle Show last weekend and talking with one of the companies that BMW recognizes for off road training on the GSAs......Smart Adventures
BMW Horseshoe - SMART Riding Adventures

The topic of suitable tires came up for taking the BMW 2 days training course. They informed me that the winner of last years Ontario qualifying competition for the 2020 BMW GS International Trophy beat everyone else while using the Michelin Anakee 3s

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/detail/T0291204EN_US/destination-of-the-bmw-motorrad-international-gs-trophy-2020-revealed:-kia-ora-–-welcome-to-new-zealand?language=en_US

Personally I've run ATV trails on the A3's without the tires letting me down. Any time I had a get off it was my skills that were not up to the abilities of the tires or bike.

brian

·
Registered
502 Posts
My riding style is usually 98% pavement
No much at all dirt roads
Pirelli Scorpian II's just in case you decide to get off on a fire road. I once had a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's (100% street) on my GSA during a long distance trip of pavement roads and the bike was very smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Metzler Karoos have one downfall. As you look at the tire all the spaces between the knobs line up perpendicular to the tire. This causes a tendency for the front tire to slide out on a corner in loose gravel. I would recommend a tire that does not have this characteristic such as Anakee 2 or my favorite the Shinko 705. The 705's are a 70pavement-30dirt tire. In my experience they grip and wear well and are quite inexpensive.

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
Metzler Karoos have one downfall. As you look at the tire all the spaces between the knobs line up perpendicular to the tire. This causes a tendency for the front tire to slide out on a corner in loose gravel. I would recommend a tire that does not have this characteristic such as Anakee 2 or my favorite the Shinko 705. The 705's are a 70pavement-30dirt tire. In my experience they grip and wear well and are quite inexpensive.
This video shows what can go wrong with the Shinko 705. I'm not saying not to run them, just keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nothing like reviving an old thread

7,000 Kms on the Karoo 3s on my GSA and still about 3mm from a wear bar. The rear tire wear has slowed dramatically the last few thousand Kms, I'm guessing its because the tire has a flatter surface rather than round creating more surface area and reducing the wear.

The tires have been excellent in rain, dry, fire roads and trails, my only gripe is the loud howl from the front tire.

I've been thinking of trying the Anlas Capra X for something different, not many online reviews so I don't know how good they are, but supposedly they are quieter

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been thinking of trying the Anlas Capra X for something different, not many online reviews so I don't know how good they are, but supposedly they are quieter
There are some blog reviews of the Capra Xs out there, but sadly no english language youtube reviews. I'd love to see a Chaparral Motorsports type video review. You may have seen this one:

https://ridewithjools.com/2017/03/23/anlas-capra-x-tyres/comment-page-1/

I'm getting the Capra Xs installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to run Anakee3's on my 2014 1200 GSW but found that the rear squared off very early (around 3-4,000 kms) in tire life.

I went to Avon Trailriders and they are now my "go to tire".
Wonderful in all road conditions, quieter than Anakee3's (although that was never a issue for me), and better off road than the Anakee3's.
When I mean off road, I'm referring dirt and gravel roads.

For more extreme off roads, the Anlas would be better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts