R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own and ride two motorcycles; a 2015 K1600 GT and a 2019 R1250 GS. I live in Northern Westchester County, New York, a suburb of the City. I insure my motorcyles through Progressive for as long as I can remember owning motorcycles. My policy is coming up for renewal next months and, as it happens, I am also moving next month to Cornelius, North Carolina, a northern suburb of Charlotte.
I have far more insurance than is required by law; $250,00-$500,00 general liability, $250,000 uninsured motorist coverage and $500 deductible for collision.
A few weeks ago, I received in the mail a renewal notice with a premium of $650. Today, I called Progressive and advised that I would be moving. They advised that I would need a new policy; which, with the same coverage as I presently have plus an upgrade for collision coverage of accessories from $3,000 to $5,000 would cost me $1049 if I paid the entire premium up front. When I asked how much the premium would be if I did not purchase the extra accessory coverage, I was quoted $1,119; $70 dollars more than the cost of the lesser insurance. I know that this cant’ be right. It also seems from everything that I have ever heard that insurance in New York is among the highest in the Nation; so, I was expecting that I would pay a lesser premium for the same insurance as I had in New York.
Am I missing something here? Can anyone tell me what I should be paying in North Carolina? Are there better companies than Progressive for coverage where I am moving?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'll be curious of replies, I'm getting ready to switch too.

I pay Nationwide $70/mo for liability only on my 07GSA and 17DR650. I think they forget you can only ride one bike at once...

So far I'm looking at Geico and Progressive but would prefer bundling Auto and Home if it's cheaper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had progressive or 3 days back in 2008. I bought a new motorcycle on Friday after State Farm was closed so the only way to get tags was to call a 24/7 insurer. I called Progressive or maybe Geico and was told my premium would be something like $700 per year. I said that was fine and I'd like to pay monthly gave them my CC and got my tags. Monday I called State Farm and my yearly premium was something like $170 for better coverage. I called the Progeico on Monday afternoon to cancel my policy with them and they asked why I was cancelling because they had given ne a really good rate. I told then State Farm gave better coverage at 2/3's less and they answered "oh" followed by we will refund 27 days of you unused policy.

Moral of the story is shop around. But not knowing your driving history, marital status, or credit maybe Progressive will be the most affordable? You won't know until you check around.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
First of all, welcome to the area. I live just outside of Denver, NC, so we'll be neighbors. I have had Progressive and Geico. I found the best deal through State Farm where I have had my home and auto insurance for years. Have had several claims and have always gotten excellent service.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in central NY and have Allstate insurance on my 08 RT and 17Gs and only pay $268 Total a year for my bikes with liability and collision . That's because I bundle with home and auto. Can't believe people are paying so much elsewhere.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, welcome to the area. I live just outside of Denver, NC, so we'll be neighbors. I have had Progressive and Geico. I found the best deal through State Farm where I have had my home and auto insurance for years. Have had several claims and have always gotten excellent service.
Thanks for that. Once I’m settled I, we may do some riding.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be curious of replies, I'm getting ready to switch too.

I pay Nationwide $70/mo for liability only on my 07GSA and 17DR650. I think they forget you can only ride one bike at once...

So far I'm looking at Geico and Progressive but would prefer bundling Auto and Home if it's cheaper.
Stay tuned. We’ll learn together!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rider is now Dairyland. Rider is who I am using right now, but with insurance it is so buyer dependant. What might be the best for me could be the worst for you. I'd suggest you call them all.

I was using Grange for years. When I bought my 2019GSA they wanted over 2K per year to have the same 100000/300000 coverage my 2012 Victory had. My Victory was under 300 per year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't speak to the regional differences, but I have one collectible bike with a stated value coverage from Hagerty. That is because it is worth a lot more than blue book, but if totalled or stolen, State Farm would pay only KBB value. Hagerty has a simple on-line application, plus you send them pictures of the bike. If they think the number is reasonable they write the coverage. Having said that, I have had no claims, so I can't speak to that, either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rider is now Dairyland. Rider is who I am using right now, but with insurance it is so buyer dependant. What might be the best for me could be the worst for you. I'd suggest you call them all.

I was using Grange for years. When I bought my 2019GSA they wanted over 2K per year to have the same 100000/300000 coverage my 2012 Victory had. My Victory was under 300 per year.
Rider was really inexpensive when I was in a rural location. Moved within city limits and it more than doubled so I shopped around and landed on progressive again. I've never needed to use motorcycle insurance and progressive's program seems pretty good and continues to drop premium. I'm down to 725 a year (full coverage) with 3 motorcycles. Oldest is 2016. All 100/300 so not trying to make it cheaper with low coverage or high deductibles.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I've had State Farm, Progressive, etc., over the years. Two years ago, I switched to an agent in Thomasville, NC who represents Dairyland. At the time, I had a '14 GSA with Progressive and had just purchased my '18 GSA. For the '18, I was quoted a price that was almost half of the '14's Progressive policy. Yes, it was the same coverage as the Progressive policy. Now, I have only the '18 GSA and just paid $309 for 12 months.

I've since switched all of my insurance to the Thomasville agent.

Mike

·
Registered
781 Posts
definitely shop around. When I traded up to my 16 GS, from an 09 r12r, Progressive, my the current insurer, wanted 2000 for the same policy I had on my 09 at 900. I called Geico and the exact same coverage was just over 700. It pays to shop around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bought 1200GS LC yesterday, today I called Progressive to switch my policy from 2014 650 Vstrom to the new GS. I was paying $115/year for 25/50/20. Had to pay extra $2.75 for the rest of the year for the GS. That makes $120 year for the GS.
I guess the key here is the higher coverage.
I

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try American Modern. I had an injury riding and they stepped right up with the coverage.
BMW MOA also endorses them so there might be a rate advantage.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've been very happy with the Allstate policy I've had since forever. I shop around occasionally and can't beat the cost or the value of the perks of being a multiple policy holder that's claim free.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I still can't believe how different the cost can be from place to place
It varies by state and sometimes within the state based on the number of claims. When I lived in Horry County, SC (think Myrtle Beach) insurance was higher due to a higher theft and accident rate than in the next county over. Here, Charlotte is higher than Lincoln County, presumably for the same reason.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all. I will revert when I sort this all out.
Try American Modern. I had an injury riding and they stepped right up with the coverage.
BMW MOA also endorses them so there might be a rate advantage.
I’ll certainly give them a try.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts