R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
While we're on the topic of insurance, I'll add that this is one time when being an old fart is a huge advantage. When I bought my new S1000RR, I couldn't wait to get on the S1000RR forum to gloat over all the young flat bellies there that were paying as much per MONTH! as I paid for my crotch rocker per YEAR! HA!

I'll also pass along another benefit that I discovered serendipitously. When I added the third bike to my policy my overall premium went down. I literally was being charged less overall for owning 3 bikes than owning two. Being the sometimes stupidly honest person that I am, I called my agent and brought it to his attention - this can't be right. Nope, he said. That's very common and the reason is that you can't ride all three bikes at the same time so that while adding a second isn't of any actuarial benefit, the third bike results in less risk for the more expensive bikes in your stable.

We all know that there's no such thing as owning too many motorcycles but our spousal units don't always see it that way. So here's your plan "Honey, I can recoup the cost of the additional motorcycle by what I'm going to save on insurance! It's a no cost benefit!!"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, it varies because insurance companies have 1) actuaries, who calculate what it costs them to cover motorcycles in that state (or county) and 2) underwriters, who decide where to set the rates. If they want more business and less profit, they set the rates lower. If they really don't like motorcycles, they set the rates higher to make up for the trouble. A guy in Oklahoma with a secure garage gets a much lower rate than a guy in Philadelphia who parks his bike on the street. It's called risk management.

·
Reprobate
136 Posts
I had very good experience with Progressive. Currently with GEICO but have had no claims with them. My only bad experience was Dairyland; they were the most disorganized, incompetent bureaucrats I'd ever dealt with!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I still can't believe how different the cost can be from place to place
I lived in NYC forever, moved to Jersey 2 years ago
both my auto and MC rates were cut in half

20 R1250GSA =full coverage / comprehensive / full replacement $368 a year
NYC with state farm (the cheapest) would of been $1.2K For shits and giggles I contacted Geico and progressive they both wanted $2-2.4K
My Beta 500RS costed me $275 just for liability (in NYC) probably like $100 in Jersey

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easy answer for me.. Progressive. Good online service and good rates (three 1200GS's and a 650 for $1100 something per year). Maybe I could find cheaper but it doesn't matter. Way more important is their service. I had a rear brake caliper bolt come loose (I had installed it). Caliper dropped down into the wheel spokes and got thrown out into the final drive. Extensive damage.. $5000. Never would have occurred to me to call insurance but the dealer service manager suggested it. Progressive didn't hesitate one second. "It's what we do" the guy said. Won me as customer for life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live outside of Winston-Salem, NC. I have a 2019 R1250GSA and four other bikes insured with Progressive. I pay just under $1,000 annually for all of the bikes. The only bike with full coverage is the GSA which costs me about $400 annually. The liability rates are set by the insurance commissioner, I think, but the other rates vary dramatically in NC. For the record I am 57 with no current tickets or accidents, last ticket was in 2011. This is about half what i paid with my previous carrier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Foremost insurance has given me the best rates. Half the price what I was paying to GEICO with a bundled policy. They are also less expensive than progressive with more coverage at Foremost. They specialize in motorcycle insurance.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts