R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and apologies in advance if I should have searched/posted elsewhere - new to site.

I'm a new owner of a 1250GSA (previously owned a '95 R1100GS among other bikes) and looking for good spots to go riding/camping off road with the wife. Training to do some bigger/longer adventures.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hi @knick
Don't know much about the Bay Area camping but have seen some guys on here talk about the area. Sure they will chime in.
So welcome and post a pic of your new ride for us to drool at.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
184 Posts
Where do you live or are riding from? I live in the Bay Area. I know of no areas to camp and ride off road. Everything is fenced off. You would have much greater luck in the foothills of the Gold Country (Forest Service Roads, etc..).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep Mark is right, you’ll need to travel a couple of hours (3) before you get to fire roads that access campable lands. There are places in Mendocino Nat’l Forest that are closer, but I’m not familiar with them; I have heard there are roads not far from Ukiah, and Stoneyford is very popular with dual sport riders.

There’s great opportunities in the Sierras out hiways 88 & 4, but snowmelt and high streams could be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
I think if I lived in the Bay Area with a wife that would travel on my GS I would be headed down the PCH as often as we could get away. The road is spectacular (which you already know) and the opportunities to relax in the area around Big Sur are plentiful. I've never been on them but I've seen references to unpaved forest roads higher up in the coastal hills all along the coast. Not every GS road is unpaved either. If you've never been over the Naciamento-Fergusson Rd it's worth a trip down there to go over and back to the PCH.

Full disclosure - I'm a right coast guy but I have been there a few times :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Knick,
A nice loop, time dependent, head north on 101 then out to Hwy 1 - Jenner Bch. North all the way to Ft. Bragg then head east on 20 to Willits. From there you could continue north to 162 and go as far east as Elk Creek or continue north on the 101 to Leggett and head south on the 1. Another nice loop (depending where you start in the Bay Area) might be the 1 up to Bodega Bay. Head east through Petaluma, then to 116 east towards Fairfield. From there Hwy 12 to Rio Vista and south along 160 to Hwy 4 or continue south through Byron over Altamont Pass through Livermore and west back to the SF Bay Area. Depending on time and type of riding as well as weather there are some really good loops with not so traveled highways and some improved roads. I have not lived in CA for years since stationed at Camp Pendleton back in the 80s but east along the 395 is also nice.
Be well.
TC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts