R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The coolant reservoir on my 2021 R1250GSA is at the minimum mark. I called the dealer and he said to top it with a Blue coolant for aluminum head. I bought a gallon of ZEREX G48 because it lists BMW (Cars).
Is this brand and type of coolant OK for topping my GSA reservoir?

BTW, I think my coolant reservoir was low because a few days ago I dropped my bike on the right side while mounting it. I nursed the drop to the best of my ability and the bike rested gently on the cylinder protection bar. Nothing else touched the ground. A day after the drop I found a small puddle of liquid under the bike coming at the base of the right cylinder.
The consistency of the liquid was closer to water than oil. If you look at the picture below, you can see the coolant reservoir has a vent and if you laid down the bike to the right, there is a good chance some coolant could leak from this vent.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Grey Carbon Auto part

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The color of the coolant means absolutely nothing. Do you know what the difference between blue, red, orange, green or coolants is? The color! Glycol is clear and dye is added to make it whatever color you want.

Glycol is either propylene (vegtable oil) or ethylene (alcohol) based. The other buffers the manufacturer add to adjust the pH to make it safe for aluminum is what counts.

As a rule you cannot mix propylene and ethylene glycols together as they can gel in some instances. What is most likely in you bike is propylene based glycol as it is more environmentally friendly. The other things you want to look for is silicate free and aluminum safe. Other than base, silicate free and aluminium safe the color is moot.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@PerazziMx14 . Thanks for your reply. ZEREX G48 is made of Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Water, Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), 2-Ethylhexanoic acid, and a bunch of others agents. It is recommended for newer BMW automobiles. Since my GSA is a 2021 model I would assume BMW would use the same chemistry used in their BMW cars. Also after calling another dealer they confirmed that I should use Ethylene Glycol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts