R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bike failure last week while coming out of the Sierras. We got stuck in traffic going 10 to 15 mph for a long period with 100 degree temps. On the way down the general fault lit up (battery)and the dash dropped out occasionally. Made it to the hotel, but bike wouldn't restart and attempts to jump didn't work.

Trailered it home and charged the battery and bike started, but 911 gave XEWS4 fault. I cleared the fault, but it kept coming back. I thought it might be the battery (2013 build), but battery tested good. I bought a new battery figuring it was time anyway, but I still get red general charging fault intermittently. Took it to the dealer and they said no faults showed! Took it home and initial charging showed 14.4, but gradually dropped to approximately 12.2, but no warning light. Washed the bike and started it up and on goes the light and charge rate steady at 12.2.

So what is the normal charging rate for a BMW 1200GS LC. I'm used to seeing 14.4! 2 months left on extended warranty!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My 2013 shows 14.1 - 14.3 volts charging normally.

XEWS4 is the Immobilizer Controller, make sure that the firmware and software for your GS911 is updated as there was some issue with the unit reading this controller properly and may be why the GS911 shows it and the dealers doesn't....probably no actual problem with this controller.

My bet is that the alternator failed.
I'm curious to know how may miles on your GS and if you run any electrical accessories? I'm trying to keep my alternator lasting as long as possible as they are known to be a weak spot.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2013 shows 14.1 - 14.3 volts charging normally.

XEWS4 is the Immobilizer Controller, make sure that the firmware and software for your GS911 is updated as there was some issue with the unit reading this controller properly and may be why the GS911 shows it and the dealers doesn't....probably no actual problem with this controller.

My bet is that the alternator failed.
I'm curious to know how may miles on your GS and if you run any electrical accessories? I'm trying to keep my alternator lasting as long as possible as they are known to be a weak spot.
My bike is model year 2014 with 65K miles. I've always seen 14.+ on the charging rate till this issue. I was aware of the controller 911 update and the firmware is up to date. I do run several electronics and have for the last 40K without issue. I have Clearwater Darlas, Nav V, Radar detector, iPhone charger, and occasional GoPro, but like I said, no issue for the last 40K miles. Red light is on and voltage is 12.1v at idle and 12.4v at 4K.

I've not found anything stating the voltage charging range for water boxers.

Stator is my guess! $3500 repair and there's 2 months left on extended warranty:surprise:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The alternator was updated sometime in 2014 probably after your build.
I'm not seeing anything that you're running that would put a strain on the alternator either.
The spec's for the alternator/stator/generator output is the amps 23A at idle and 35A at 6,000k RPM but it is normal for the voltage to be near 14.4V.

Get that alternator replaced while you have warranty, the cost of the repair is staggering.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The 50A Midi main fuse shuts pretty much the entire electrical system on this bike down if it blows similar to disconnecting the battery, there is some misinformation out there that it only protects the alternator/charge system.
This fuse is a slow-blow type and the entire electrical system on the GS will not draw 50 amps with the exception that the initial draw during engine start on a cold day may come close or even exceed 50a for a split second.

Disconnect it for yourself and see what it does.

Still couldn't hurt anything to check it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
warranty

If the bike still has 2 months left on the warranty I'd let the dealer find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes

If the bike still has 2 months left on the warranty I'd let the dealer find out what's wrong.
Back at the dealer! Charge rate dropped to 11.9V by the time I reached the dealer and general red warning light on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2 months ago my 2017 GSA battery took a dump at work. Flashed once when I hit button then nothing. No waring signs of battery going out, bike never sat longer than a week without at least putting 200 miles a ride.

Dealer was good about it, I called them up, 15 minutes later they were picking up my bike. Good thing I was only 3 miles away from dealership. Replaced battery, I asked what happened reply was "batteries die" . hopefully it was only bad battery not other component failing. So far so good, I have over 6k with lots of warranty left :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That extended warranty just paid for itself three times over, probably the wisest purchase that you ever made.
Sadly the quality seems lacking compared to my last BMW a 1987 K1200RS motorsport. 65K miles in 2 years and never a hiccup. So far on this bike, starter $600, Headlight $2000 and now stater approximately $3500! All on extended warranty. Nice return on $1300 extended warranty, but rather never have to use it! I still love the bike!

·
Bike&Ski
102 Posts
The 50A Midi main fuse shuts pretty much the entire electrical system on this bike down if it blows similar to disconnecting the battery, there is some misinformation out there that it only protects the alternator/charge system.
This fuse is a slow-blow type and the entire electrical system on the GS will not draw 50 amps with the exception that the initial draw during engine start on a cold day may come close or even exceed 50a for a split second.

Disconnect it for yourself and see what it does.

Still couldn't hurt anything to check it.
Sorry for the thread hijack but this is a little bit relevant - Just loaded my 2014GS onto a trailer bound for Colorado for a week long trip and reading this thread reminded me that I was going to pack extra fuses, although in three years I have not had any problems. My manual shows two fuses under the seat- one 10A and one 7.5A. It does not show this 50A fuse although in looking at other years manuals it does show this. So, three questions if I could:

1 - If I remember correctly the 10A and 7.5A under the seat are mini blade fuses, not regular size correct?
2 - I'm assuming the 50A is not likely to blow or is this something that is recommended to carry?
3 - Given that my manual did not show the 50A, are there any other fuses to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack but this is a little bit relevant - Just loaded my 2014GS onto a trailer bound for Colorado for a week long trip and reading this thread reminded me that I was going to pack extra fuses, although in three years I have not had any problems. My manual shows two fuses under the seat- one 10A and one 7.5A. It does not show this 50A fuse although in looking at other years manuals it does show this. So, three questions if I could:

1 - If I remember correctly the 10A and 7.5A under the seat are mini blade fuses, not regular size correct?
2 - I'm assuming the 50A is not likely to blow or is this something that is recommended to carry?
3 - Given that my manual did not show the 50A, are there any other fuses to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
The 7.5a and 10a are mini blade type fuses, you could pack spares but neither fuse controls anything that will leave you starnded, the 50a Midi fuse is in-line in the extremely rare event that it blows you have real trouble, there are no other fuses.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As it was explained to me..there is a service advisory on the 2013 R1200 series bikes explaining that issue is with the 50amp fuse harness (not the fuse) that may show a alternator/charging regulator failure..

·
Bike&Ski
102 Posts
The 7.5a and 10a are mini blade type fuses, you could pack spares but neither fuse controls anything that will leave you starnded, the 50a Midi fuse is in-line in the extremely rare event that it blows you have real trouble, there are no other fuses.
Thank you JetSpeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts