R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, but I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new 1250 gsa with lowered suspension. I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam and I could probably handle the standard suspension okay. Would I regret getting the lowered suspension? I intend this mostly as a tourer, and daily driver bike. I love to explore the rural "paved goat tracks" and gravel roads nearby. But, no hard core off road stuff is in my future. I dont have any interest in that stuff!
Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am 6' with a 32" inseam. I test drove standard and lowered. Bought standard because it felt better and drove better then the lowered. If you can drive both. Seat adjustment helped the standard fit me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm 5'-10" with a 29" inseam and have several GS. I can all but flatfoot on the lowered versions but prefer the standard height better even if up un the balls of my feet.

At 6'-2" unless you are all torso the lowered model is going to feel short.

My suggestion is ride or at least sit on the standard and low versions an see what fits better.

·
Registered
737 Posts
New here, but I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new 1250 gsa with lowered suspension. I am 6'1 with a 32" inseam and I could probably handle the standard suspension okay. Would I regret getting the lowered suspension? I intend this mostly as a tourer, and daily driver bike. I love to explore the rural "paved goat tracks" and gravel roads nearby. But, no hard core off road stuff is in my future. I dont have any interest in that stuff!
At that height why are you considering a lowered? If we know your thought process we could give you better suggestions.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm 5'7 and have no problem with the standard suspension; I would not consider lowered suspension for myself. I think at 6'1 it would be a mistake to get lowered suspension.
Correct unless hes getting 5 thousand dollars off plus luggage plus NAV 6......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My reasoning was that I am not planning on doing any tough off road riding, so I didnt think I would need the standard suspension. Also, I thought it would be important to be able to flat foot if I could. Lastly, the dealer that has the gsa in the kalamata(?) color I like only has a lowered one. But I think he has the one in racing colors in a standard height. I emailed him last night to find out.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My reasoning was that I am not planning on doing any tough off road riding, so I didnt think I would need the standard suspension. Also, I thought it would be important to be able to flat foot if I could. Lastly, the dealer that has the gsa in the kalamata(?) color I like only has a lowered one. But I think he has the one in racing colors in a standard height. I emailed him last night to find out.
Gasoline sit on both and see how you feel.....all of us are just giving our opinions. You have to see what you are comfortable with. If you feel you are more planted and confident with the low suspension then go for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am 1.74m (5'7") with a 2011 R1200GS with ESA and a lowered seat, I am very comfortable on the standard setting, in full off road mode I tend to be on the ball of my feet, So if I was you I would just get the lowered seat and leave the suspension alone, works for me and I do alot of off road

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm 5'6", 29" inseam, couldn't ride my current 1250 GSA or my previous 1200 GSA unless it came with the factory low suspension. There's exactly the same amount of room as with a standard GS/GSA it's just closer to the ground. My legs are nearly straight with the balls of my feet on the ground, the OP sounds like he's big enough to flatfoot one with some bend to his knees. I'm 99% on-road, some fire-road type stuff for the other 1%. Other people are welcome to take a 600# bike offroad, I would choose a different bike for that purpose.

Completely satisfied with it, I'm not concerned with reduced lean angle - my position is that scraping pegs on public roads (anywhere, actually) means you're pushing the envelope too hard. I just took it to a track day, the photos show that even riding as hard as I care to in a controlled environment, I still have plenty of clearance left.

Reactions: Slow24 and Gasoline

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the GSA looks funny lowered. The GS lowered with non metal side bags looks great.
I'm 5-11 31 inch inseam, Standard 2020 GSA, with lowered seat. I do pretty good at stops.
I keep the suspension on low also, do mild off roading and does very well.

·
2018 R1200GSA
47 Posts
I’m 6’2” and have the lowered suspension and I have had no issues at all with my limited off roading. I do have a RDL seat which sits me slightly higher. I feel much better flat footing stops, and being able to mount and dismount from the bike without scraping my boots across the seats. Mow that I’m older, not as flexible as I used to be:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m 6’2” and have the lowered suspension and I have had no issues at all with my limited off roading. I do have a RDL seat which sits me slightly higher. I feel much better flat footing stops, and being able to mount and dismount from the bike without scraping my boots across the seats. Mow that I’m older, not as flexible as I used to be:)
At 6.2 you would have been flat footed on the full suspension.
There is a very noticeable difference in ride quality between low and normal suspension height.

Ian

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Inseam is a much better gauge of bike height fit comparisons than overall height.

6'2" with a 36" inseam is a bit different than a 30" inseam.

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
30" inseam here an no problem with the standard height bike. I put the seat in the low position and ride some pretty challenging off-road on mine. The only time I feel uncomfortable with the height of the bike is when I'm trying to duck walk it backward out of a parking spot - so I don't do that. I'll walk it out beside the bike and then jump on it when I can ride off forward. When I'm in riding challenging situations where most people feel like they need the security of a foot on the ground, I'm standing on the pegs anyway with my eyes up. Rarely need to dab a foot when riding like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Didn’t think I would do anything but dirt roads either until a friend asked me to join him on a BMW two day offroad class, which to my surprise was an absolute blast. Now I can’t wait to find the next class 4 road. Friend of mine has a lowered GS and ripped the skid plate right off on our most recent trip. I am 5’5” and glad to have the regular suspension GS, albeit with a lowered seat (29” inseam). Of course the lowered GSA would still have a similar ground clearance to my regular GS, if I am not mistaken?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would go for the standard height and just put the seat in the low position. I am also 6.1 and I sure appreciate the ability to have the extra room to stretch my legs when I am riding mostly slab.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The extra travel in the GSA can still be useful on those trails. And you’re better off giving up that inch or so with a lower seat than by limiting that suspension travel.

im 5’10” and am still waiting for the seat. I can flat-foot onone side with toe+ball on the other. I think you‘LL be fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts