R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a headlight protector (similar to the BMW perspex one) which requires the removal of the headlight to fit.

I have instructions for this for the R1200GS (K50) (link below) but the fairings and body panels are different on the 1250. I think I need to remove additional panels on the 1250 to access the cir-clip (as per image) to remove the headlight assembly.

Assistance with this appreciated.

·
Super Awesom Person
593 Posts
As that bike is new it's going to be tough finding someone who has done that. I just stuck the Aeroflow headlight protector on mine. No tools needed. However with a quick search on the internet I was able to fined a few videos of different headlight guard installations on other years. I think the removal processes is the same or at least close to it. Here is one on what I think is a 2018 LED headlight guard installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update - the BMW perspex headlight protector required the removal of the headlight to fit. To get to the required cir-clips I had to remove all fairings and the nose beak. Not too difficult. However the aftermarket guard I purchased was rubbish as the fitting rubber pieces were off spec and too rigid. Will stick with genuine parts!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed the altrider headlight guard. Took 10min and didn’t require the removal of any fairings or headlight
Another vote for the AltRider here. I firstly bought a cheap Chinese made version similar to the BMW perspex one, but sent it back when I realised the headlight had to be removed for fitting (it came with no instructions). Then I bought another Chinese made one similar to the AltRider one, but the alignment was so bad there was no way the guard could fit on its frame, so I sent that back. Finally I went with the AltRider one, which was more than double the price but is well made, easy to fit and much better quality than the cheap Chinese copies.

·
Survivor
686 Posts
I would return any headlight guard that requires so much disassembly to install. There are many guards that are easy to install, are effective and are easy to remove for cleaning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts