R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it, I found something that does not seem to be on YouTube...
I need to replace the stock shift lever on my 2017 1200 GS Adventure. Is there any trick to getting the linkage rod ball joint off the shift lever? Looking at the parts diagram it looks like there is a clip retaining the ball in the socket. If I remove this clip do I just twist and pop off the socket from the ball? or is there some sort of trick?

BTW, I bought the HammerHead CNC Shift lever, it is sexy, made in USA and half the price of the OEM shift lever.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished the job, no issues. The ball socket comes right off without tools, just unclip the keeper pin from around the base of the socket and the straight part of the pin, keeping the ball seated, slides right out and the socket pops off the ball. The hardest part of the job was finding a T60 Torx, I found them on Amazon but because of the wild fires here in Oregon near me, my order/shipment was delayed until next week.
The new shifter looks fantastic, adjusted, tested, and working great.

One note about the HammerHead shifter, instead of having an adjustable length, you order based on your shoe size which adds or subtracts ~5mm per increment, I am a size 11 US so I ordered the +5 (+5 mm longer than stock for shoe size 11-12 US). This worked out great, I love the fit of the length, the only issue, because the shifter lever is a little longer, the shift knob ends up even lower than the stock. I adjusted the lever up, all the way to the thread stops, still ~1/2" of thread on either end of the linkage available for adjustment. This means adjusted as far up as it will go, it is still lower than the stock would be at the same adjustment. I think the height is fine but I will be looking for a shorter linkage arm in case my winter boots need a bit more room. Worst case fabricating one on the lathe should be easy enough.

Hammerhead Shift Lever LC BMW 1200GS/A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts