R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can see that car horn accumulating rain water as you ride, then eventually restricting the sound. This happens often with the HD touring horns, you need to take them off and rotate them to get the water out, then they're fine again..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone did a pretty good comparison on this and the car horn was actually lower in DB's but directional since it was a trumpet style horn. It has a different sound which I think makes you think it is louder.
I think the factory is pretty loud.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found a High Pitch BMW OEM horn, part #: 61338381272.

I wonder how different it sounds from the low pitch horn Enzo installed?

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
120 Posts
Buyer beware... the high-power horns (Denali is a good exemple) requires more power than the stock one. Either wire them using a Can-Decoder or a relay, directly from the battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can see that car horn accumulating rain water as you ride, then eventually restricting the sound. This happens often with the HD touring horns, you need to take them off and rotate them to get the water out, then they're fine again..
When you mount the BMW car horn with the trumpet, simply rotate it down slightly. That way any water or moisture will run out and not interfere with the horn working properly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes that is how the HD horn is mounted with the trumpet pointing down. Water still works its way up into the centre, eventually blocking the horn and making it sound like a sick cow

When you mount the BMW car horn with the trumpet, simply rotate it down slightly. That way any water or moisture will run out and not interfere with the horn working properly.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I've used the low-tone BMW car horns on both my '14 & '18 GSAs and have simply rotated the "trumpet" down a bit. To date, have had no issues with water entry. I've certainly read about this so, with my '18's horn, I drilled a couple of holes about 1.5" from the "trumpet." So far, so good.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts