R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I want to change the windscreen on my 2018 R1200GSA. Preferably something just a little wider and taller. Has anyone changed their windscreen and if so, what brand and how do you like it...? I am 5'11", I ride 95% on-road and enjoy long(er) rides, so not an off-road junkie and looking for good wind/weather protection, but don't want to have a "barn door" on the front of the bike either.

I look forward to reading your replies.

·
Keith Murray
2 Posts
Hello,

I want to change the windscreen on my 2018 R1200GSA. Preferably something just a little wider and taller. Has anyone changed their windscreen and if so, what brand and how do you like it...? I am 5'11", I ride 95% on-road and enjoy long(er) rides, so not an off-road junkie and looking for good wind/weather protection, but don't want to have a "barn door" on the front of the bike either.

I look forward to reading your replies.
I have the AeroFlow windscreen on my bike and it works very well.

·
Super Awesom Person
442 Posts
I have the AeroFlow windscreen on my bike and it works very well.
I found the stock screen on my GS worked very well until I went to Texas and Kansas. I needed a screen a little wider than stock but not taller. I wanted it short enough for the wind to blow the rain off my facesheld when it's at the low position but over my head at the high position. I went up to Atwood where Aeroflow is located. They have a standard, a tall, and an extra tall. I'm 6ft with a 33 inseam. I tried the tall but it was too tall however the standard seem to fit the bill. The wind no longer hits my shoulders and the wind just goes over my head when it's up. It seems to be a very quality made screen. However the longer I have it the more I noticed a low-frequency buffeting. I just ordered the brackets bigjohnsd suggested and I think/hope that will fix it. The fine tuning never seems to end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Puig Touring - light tint - looks good, not expensive, but most importantly good protection lower wind noise. No reinforcement needed imo, shakes less than oem. I'm shy of 6ft 1in, 33 inseam.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Plus 1 for the Puig Touring. I have found it very good. I only do touring and am 6' 1" tall. I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re The Madstad screen, it may not be pertinent, but I fitted one to my F700GS and found it to be fine on sealed roads, but too flimsy for dirt and gravel. The problem is not the screen itself, but the mounting setup. I'm now wanting a better screen for my R1200GS and considering a PUIG. I'm just on 6'0" and wear a Schuberth helmet which is lightweight but inexplicably sensitive to turbulence. Smooth air at speed is good, otherwise full shelter from buffeting.
Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a GSA and its OEM windscreen is bigger than the GS, and is generally decent from the airflow perspective although when you need to look through it there's a lot of distortion due to the sharp creases. I thought I wanted something a bit taller and quieter. I'm 5'6" and the Puig Touring was too tall - all the way down and the top was in my line of vision, and I didn't want to raise it and look through it. Vstream didn't seem any better than OEM (thank heavens for free trials at the MOA rally). Aeroflow was better in the distortion department although the geometry of it was such that there was a marked peak in the center instead of the valley of the OEM, which I didn't care for. Didn't stop me from using it for 3 years, though. It went with the bike when I sold it and I still have its slightly used OEM screen for a wethead GS/GSA if anyone is interested.

Currently I'm wondering whether to go with Touratech (probably not), Wunderlich (Ergo touring, maybe; Ergo Marathon, looks as big as the Puig), Madstad (for some reason it just doesn't appeal to me) or CalSci (leading contender). I have all winter to overthink this decision. :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Has anyone mentioned the Puig touring screen, (light tint, of course)? I'm just over 6 feet and run mine down all the way with a rubber ball behind it to keep it as vertical as possible. If you can just see over the screen (in your normal riding position) it is right.

·
2019 R1250 GSA
102 Posts
+4 on the VStream. I'm 6'1" and I look over the Middle Size while it is in it's lowest position.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts