R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to retrofit the LED Headlight from a Liquid cooled bike to an incandescent regular headlight?

Can it be done? I have a 2013 R1200GS Premium but it is missing the LED headlight. I'd really like to install it. Do you guys think this is possible? Has it been done? I know the parts are pricey but is it a direct plug and play swap?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I'm not sure if that's doable or not but, if you could, it would be very pricey. The LED headlight assembly is $1,614.14 and the control unit for it is $554.71. You know there will be some "incidentals," too.

If I could make a suggestion, it'll save you a bunch of money and you'll end up with a better light. For less than $75, install a 35W HID in the low beam. I had one in my '09 and, frankly, it gave off much better light than my '14 with LED. If you need more light than that, go look at Clearwater's site for Ericas or Kristas.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
@ coolieman1220
Were you able to install the LED headlight on your 2013 BMW R1200 LC? I too love the look of the newer LED headlight housing, but was curious if it's just plug and play.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Alternate Lighting

I agree with mikec. A set of auxiliary Clearwater lights like he suggested is a great alternative. It gives you high impact, adjustable intensity daytime running lights that are much more effective than the original LED headlight. Their high-beam brightness is also variable. The night vision from a set of Clearwaters is far brighter than with the standard LED on high beam. As a bonus, the Clearwaters are plug and play and they can be sold if you change bike.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The LED headlight can be retrofitted, it of course requires an LED lamp assembly and controller which can usually be found on Ebay for a fraction of the price of new.
Where it gets tricky is that the dealer will need to use their computer to enable the LED headlight in the ZFE, since this is not a BMW approved retrofit they will get no support from BMW if they are unable to do it on their own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to purchase (through eBay) a fairly cheap BMW LED headlight with control unit. I plugged it up and now I receive the dreaded LAMPF! error message on the instrument panel. I have to take in my 2013 BMW R1200GSW to dealership for a service and will ask them to enable the LED function in the ZFE as mentioned. I will let you all know.:wink2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to purchase (through eBay) a fairly cheap BMW LED headlight with control unit. I plugged it up and now I receive the dreaded LAMPF! error message on the instrument panel. I have to take in my 2013 BMW R1200GSW to dealership for a service and will ask them to enable the LED function in the ZFE as mentioned. I will let you all know.:wink2:
Hi mate, did the dealership manage to enable the LED function?>:)

·
Super Moderator
402 Posts
This is probably easier. Happy with mine.
ebay.com/itm/LED-Headlight-Headlamp-for-BMW-R1200GS-2004-2012-R-1200-GS-Adv-2005-2013-E9-US/264758212255

1 - 10 of 10 Posts