R1200GS Forum banner

Reverse polarity

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  kbe06 
#1 ·
Hi maybe someone can tel me wat could happen when the battery is connected in reversed polarity for a brief moment, about 5 seconds. It is a 2015 lc 1200, I am getting a warning that the battery Charging voltage is insufficient

#13 ·
Hi folks,

Have the same issue for 2014 1200gs. I just connected + cable to - polar for a moment, and when I touch - cable with + polar, bike tooted and I realized what I did wrong and corrected it.
Now after starting bike, red warning triangle and battery symbol illuminates. Should I also replace the fuse?

#16 ·
You can leave the battery connected. Check in your user manual (if you don't have it, you can download it for free from BMW here) for the replacement.

I don't know if there is a detailled procedure in the manual but it will show you the fuse location, replacement is easy, pull out old fuse, push new fuse in place (or unscrew old fuse and screw new in place if it a large fuse, as shown on earlier posts)

#17 ·
Now solved, same as Dallar's way. Fuse got blown. replaced it, and warning + battery symbol are gone!
Alternator fuse is under the driver seat, on the right side, inside a narrow (1 cm.) long (10 cm.) black fuse box. Just open the small cap, and fuse will be there for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.